Any tool needed to change out M1A extractor?

skeeter

i heard the only weak link on the Springfield Armory M1A's are the extractors . I bought a USGI extractor and want to know how and what is needed to change it out. Thanks

B. Lahey

I sure wouldn't try it without one. Fulton has them on their webpage. Do you have a copy of Walt's book?

Watch the compressed ejector spring, it can kill you, apparently. Strong safety glasses and watch where you point it.

wjkuleck

Mr. Lahey refers, of course, to the bolt assembly/disassembly tool. Well worth the money, particularly because you should periodically detail strip the bolt to clean out the firing pin channel & etc., so you'll get more than the one-time use out of it.

The book is pretty good, even if I do say so myself :) .

Best regards,

Walt
PS ...and thanks to Mr. Lahey for the kind recommendation!

nbkky71

The bolt tool is quite handy and worth the money, but in a pinch you can swap extractors by using a fired .30-06 case.

• Remove the magazine & lock the bolt to the rear
  • chamber the fired .30-06 case... it will stick out the breech.
  • Slowly close the bolt onto the fired base.
  • Push the op rod forward, compressing the ejector
  • While keeping forward pressure on the op-rod, drive the extractor out of the bolt through the magazine well.
  • While keeping forward pressure on the op-rod, replace the extractor.
It takes a little dexterity but it's a great trick to know for field-expedient repairs. I had to do this at a rifle match once when my bolt disassembled during a rapid fire string.

James K

Member In Memoriam
The handle of the M10 cleaning rod (the jointed rod for the M1 rifle) can also be used as a bolt disassembly tool the same way. Put it in the chamber, screwdriver end forward (no it doesn't touch the inside of the chamber), then close the bolt on it the same way. The handle of the M14 tool can also be used but the bolt has to be out of the rifle.

Jim