Any thoughts on the h&r pardner 10ga

Recoiljunky

Hey I'm thinkin about geting a 10gauge. Any thoughts on this gun for all around use "I dont mind recoil". Has anyone used it or anyother low priced 10 gauges? How does 10ga compare to 12ga is it worth it?

Thanks Steve

natman

A 10 ga will shoot a better pattern than a 3.5 inch 12 ga, all else being equal. This is really only going to make a practical difference if you are a dyed in the wool long shot goose hunter or you want to turn a turkey's head to mush, rather than merely killing it.

If you get a 10 ga H&R, you had better be sure you don't mind recoil, because it will deliver it.

BigJimP

Is it worth it - No.... / not ballistically, not in recoil, not in ammo expense ...or anything else for that matter ....

But if you think it is ...you should buy one and try it ...:D

BigJimP

10ga ammo isn't everywhere ....but its readily available ....at most decent gun stores ....especially as waterfowl loads...

But there was an idiot ....at my local indoor range ....a few months ago ....shooting 10ga slugs ....in a Browning Pump ( before he went to his cabin in Alaska - as prep for his "brown bear encounters" ...) ....but as near as I could tell ....all he did was aggravate everyone at the range .... and bruise his shoulder ...and burn up $ 40 ....for 20 rounds.

jaguarxk120

BigJimP chances are he also aggravated the brown bear too.
Federal lists a 10 gauge slug load (rifled slug) 766 grain of lead at 1280 fps, and 2785 foot-pounds of energy.
At 25 the energy drops of to 2295 fp and 50 yds 1980 fp.

The only thing going for the 10 gauge slug is that it makes a big hole. I would choose a 338, 375, or 458 before a 10 ga.

fadetoblack172

I have been researching reviews on this gun and looking to buy one also. I think it is a cheap fun gun to shoot once in a while, plus anything you want to shoot at once and kill this is the gun. At $250 with an extra full screw in choke, a camo stock and sling, and a 24" barrel it's a good deal i think, and it's tapped for a scope for you slug shooters. The bad......it is 9 pounds and it will kick you pretty hard.
I will be ordering one soon:D

p.s. I don't mind recoil either, the harder it hits the more fun I say haha

Recoiljunky

Thank you all for your posts from what it seems like I should just get an 870 in 3 1/2 12ga. After seeing the price of the ammo I'd probrobly never use it except for turkey at most. And fadetoblake I hope you injoy yours.

Best of luck
Steve

jbaham

I have 2 10 ga shotguns a remington sp-10 and a browning bps both are great guns and recoil isn't all that bad. The H@R will have a decent punch to it. The 10 ga sp-10 weighs 11 lbs and the bps I own weighs 11 lbs yes they are heavy but this reduces the recoil a lot. I also own some 12 ga 3.5 inch guns that will hurt worse than either 10 ga even with a hot turkey load or a slug. Look into getting a used browning bps if you would like a 10 ga. A new browning is only around 600 dollars a used one can be had cheaper than that. check out gunbroker and any local shops.

just my 2 cents

jbaham

TxGun

I have an H&R 10 gauge single in the safe somewhere. Had it for quite a while. Good gun for the money, IMO. It's a 9 lb. shotgun with a massively heavy barrel...I don't find the recoil bad at all...definitely no worse than a light 12 gauge 3". Shot a nice Tom with it 2-3 years ago. I'd certainly use it again, but I haven't had a chance to do any turkey hunting since.

Recoiljunky

i have looked at the bps they intrest me on how they work but they wiegh alot that what deters me from them and after i looked at the price of 10ga ammo that throws that out the door so now its time to diced weather or not an 870 or 1187 in 12ga 3.5. the only reson i was considering the h&r was it was only 250 new and 150 used. a verry inexpensive gun