Any thoughts on Rem. 783's

joe sixgun

Thinking about getting a new bolt action. Any 783 owners want to review that model? I realize it isn't a 700 but how is the accuracy? And how sturdy is the stock?

jmr40

I don't have one, and you won't find many who do. The general consensus is that it is an improvement over the older 710 and 770 budget rifles. But for about the same money there are better options.

I'd be looking at

TC Venture
Ruger American
Savage Axis

I like the Ruger in short actions, not long actions, but you rarely see any negative comments on any of the above.

KBrun

After looking at the sane gun I picked up a marlin xs7 and stuck a boyds stock on it. These guns can be had for exceptional prices now, although they are no longer produced.

godale

i havent fired one but upon hoding the savage axis and ruger american i really like the feel on the shoulder better with the 783.that being said i havent shot one.

std7mag

I'm looking at one, but only because it's on sale for a way low price.

Don't care about the stock, or barrel, or trigger... Planned on getting the action for a custom build.

Rmart30

I bought the compact 783 in 308. Im much happier with it than the 2 savage Axis I had.
Magazine insertion/retention is much better than the axis and stiffer stock.

Aftermarket stuff out for the 783 already. Boyds been making stocks for a while. Heavy/target barrels are out, and Im sure timneys or triggertechs wont be far behind.

joe sixgun

Thanks, I'm planning to get a Remington but wasn't sure I wanted to spend the money on a 700. I am going 30-06 and will be hand loading. Anyone know what kind of out of the box accuracy I should expect from a 783?

kraigwy

My kid bought one in 270 Win. I shot the heck out of it and found it to be a darn good gun for the money.

I used my loads that I use in my Model 70 270 and found they are quite accurate.

We put a Vortex scope and found the adjustments (for different ranges) are the same as for my Model 70.

Its not a Model 70 (but then nothing else is either) but for the price its an excellent gun.

I don't think you'll have any regrets.

As a side note, I'm trying to talk my son into letting me re-barrel it with a 1:8 twist barrel so we can try Berger's new 170 gr. 277 bullets.

Huffmanite

std7mag,

There was a Remington rebate available on the 783, $40-50$, around Christmas season. Don't know if its still available, but worth checking for.

Jimro

Engineering wise, the 783 is a dang good build.

Whether or not it fits your frame is another story entirely, but you can always modify or replace a stock.

Jimro

FrankenMauser

The Remington 783 is basically a slightly tweaked Marlin X7.

Pros:
They generally shoot fairly well.
It's a good design for the price point. (Engineered by Marlin to be a good action, but cheap to manufacture - rather than something having corners cut to reduce the cost of an existing product, like most manufacturers.)
Good trigger for a 'budget rifle'.
Uses Remington 700 front scope bases for both front and rear positions.

Cons:
Stocks are cheap and flimsy.
Extractor failure seems to be as common on the 783 as it was on the early X7s.
It's $40-100 more than the rifle it was based on, even though most of Remington's 'tweaks' were cost-cutting measures.
There isn't much aftermarket support.