Any thoughts concerning Remington 40-Xs?

P-35

Was contemplating one of these but the price is much, much more than just a 700 PSS. Your thoughts are welcome......

Rainbow Six

Back to the top. I'd also be interested in info on this rifle.

------------------
For Sale: SIG P220 - see handgun classified forum.

Georgia TFL'ers get together:
May 20, 2000-From 3pm to 6pm
http://www.wolfcreek-gun.com

R6...aka...Chris

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
While the 40X is a tweaked Model 700, what your paying for is a "surer thing". The list of good rifles is extensive, great ones less so.. We're all familier with the unmodified factory gun that shoots surprisingly well and we all know of the average gun. The extra tweaking simply raises your chances of getting a more accurate than average rifle.

A couple of years ago I did some comparison of cost vrs. accuracy for an outfit that I worked for. Don't recall the exacts, but it was along the lines of a solid inch and a half rifle (5 rounds/100m) was a thousand bucks, inch plus a little, $1250, inch or under, $1500 or more, etc., etc. Cost included scope BTW.

So - you get a higher degree of confidence that your rifle will acheive some greater (than average) accuracy if you get the 40X as opposed to a Wally World stock M700.

HTH

Giz

[This message has been edited by Gizmo99 (edited May 02, 2000).]

Sling Shot

Remington 40X rifles are just a 700 that has been customized at the Remington shop. Supposedly very accurate, and they maintain their value very well. A few months back, I went through trying to decide between a factory 700, 40x, a PSS, a VS, and an all out custom rifle. I finally purchased the VS in .308 caliber. I am glad that I made the decision on the VS. I Compared the PSS and VS side by side, and for an extra $100.00 for the PSS, it was not worth it to me. I just plainly liked the VS stock better than the PSS stock, and I saved a $100 to boot. I plan on putting as much ammo as I can through the pipe, and when I get the $500.00 saved, I am going to send the action to Hart or Shilen for a rebarrel, and they will also square the receiver and lap the lugs included in the rebarrel job. After all is said and done, I will end up with a VS with a new pipe for approximately $1100. Sling Shot

John Hunter

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gizmo99:
So - how does it shoot?

Giz
[/quote]
I have a Rem. 40XBR in .223 with a Leupold 36X target scope and it shoots great. If you like making those little groups that all the holes fit into one. And if you get a kick out of working up loads then it is just the ticket. :) I don't think I would care to lug the thing around for a prairie dog hunt though. ;)

------------------
John - NRA - Lifer

Sling Shot

Gizmo: I guess you were asking me. I have just recently got the rifle broken in. I have excactly 100 rounds through the pipe. Copper and powder fouling are now minimal compared to the first 30 rounds. I am not a great shooter by all means. The best group that I have shot with this rifle is just under half of a inch at 100 yards. Most groups are between a 1/2 and 3/4 inch at 100. I have no access to a longer range. It seems that the more rounds that I put downrange, the better the rifle shoots. Or it could be me just getting better. But when the factory barrels get hot, they start walking shots all over the place. Sling Shot