Any Sphinx love out there?

bac1023

To me, they are the finest pistols to ever use CZ's design. They are jewel-like in their fitting, refinement, and attention to detail.

...and just flat-out beautiful to boot. Even the roll marking is done with amazing precision.

I'm not really speaking about the production grade SDP guns, but the 2000 and 3000 series are special pistols, in my opinion. If I had to choose the top five highest quality post war semi-autos ever built, these Sphinx would make the list, namely the AT2000S. That's how highly I think of it.

Any thoughts or pictures to add?

Here's one of mine. AT2000S with a stainless frame and carbon steel slide with the palladium plating.

Walt Sherrill

I've owned two of the OLDER AT2000 models, made maybe 10-15 years ago: a full-size SAO and a compact 2000P model. They look similar to the original poster's gun, but not as nice. Here the compact (AT2000P, P=police).

Dsc_2093.jpg

Mine were great guns, but I found the high-gloss stainless frames a bit off-putting. The photo doesn't look like it's high gloss, but it is. The frames showed every small mark or scratch, like a glossy blued-gun, and I found myself BABYING them, but I just wanted to shoot them like I would shoot every other gun. They all have very smooth actions, and very accurate. Here's shot of the compact I had.

I now have a Sphinx SDP, it's a fine weapon. The trigger was heavier than I cared for when I first got it, but changing the hammer spring (it can use CZ springs) made a big difference. And, thankfully, it's not high-gloss stainless (although they do (or did) make stainless models), I find it a more practical weapon.

Here's a picture of the SDP. It's not as pretty as the one that prompted this discussion -- but it is a very nice weapon. (I would have preferred a DA/SA with safety, but the one I got was a decocker-equipped model.)

577ec97f-ec40-4ec9-af29-6d070c8e90d6_zpsxnr2tvlx.jpg

Before the importer, Kriss, started building them in the US, I had a chance to buy one of the all-metal newer ones at a discounted price -- same basic design as the SDP, but just bigger -- but even with a big discount, it was more expensive than I was willing to pay.

Here's one of the newer models that was made in Switzerland -- it's SAO -- and the only other one I really was interested in. (I had a chance to buy one at a reduced price from KRISS, but it was still too pricey for my budget after a healthy discount.) These guns were apparently pretty popular in IPSC competition in Europe.

f6c1d4d0-fbeb-4c8a-8328-c2722200be24_zps0om6zqsk.jpg

I think Kriss was starting production in the U.S., but I haven't seen much about them in recent months.

The SDP line is close in price to some of the standard (but more expensive) SIGs. They are fine weapons.

Last edited:

PSP

I've owned a couple AT-380 models. Nice compact .380 but they had some weak points one of which was no support in the U.S. back then.

Your AT2000 is gorgeous.