Any solid recommendations on bore sights??

Johnc

I am looking for a bore sight and have noticed that there are more than a few options these days. What works well for you guys? Primarily, I am interested in sighting in .22 and .223 only now.

armedtotheteeth

I have a laser bore sighter I used to use/ It is more of an agrivation than useful. Now what I do is dismantle the gun as far as necesary to see down the barrel. On lever actions, you are pretty much screwed, But Bolt actions, AR's, and the like It works great. Just set the gun on sandbags and site in down the barrel on a target of choice, look down the scope carefully without moving the gun and note the adjustment needed to correct the zero. I usually do this at greater than 50 yards. 100 yards is good too.Keep in mind that your barrel will be correct and your scope will actually need to be adjusted to the barrel, so your scope adjustments will read backwards. For example You look down your barrel and see the center of your target , but look through the scope and see that the crosshairs are 8 inches high, you need to adjust the scope "up" 8 inches to get to the scope crosshairs. I have sighted in all sorts of guns like this and all have been on th paper first shot. Laser boresighters are onl;y needed for lever actions and a few semis

el Divino

I have a laser bore sighter I used to use/ It is more of an agrivation than useful. Now what I do is dismantle the gun as far as necesary to see down the barrel. On lever actions, you are pretty much screwed, But Bolt actions, AR's, and the like It works great. Just set the gun on sandbags and site in down the barrel on a target of choice, look down the scope carefully without moving the gun and note the adjustment needed to correct the zero. I usually do this at greater than 50 yards. 100 yards is good too.Keep in mind that your barrel will be correct and your scope will actually need to be adjusted to the barrel, so your scope adjustments will read backwards. For example You look down your barrel and see the center of your target , but look through the scope and see that the crosshairs are 8 inches high, you need to adjust the scope "up" 8 inches to get to the scope crosshairs. I have sighted in all sorts of guns like this and all have been on th paper first shot. Laser boresighters are onl;y needed for lever actions and a few semis

+1, it is just the best way to do it

Vinnie's Dad

I've never tried a laser bore sight. Any issues with sighting it in outside? I would think depending on how strong the laser is can really impact the visabilty of it. It has been a while since I have had to sight in a scope, but I used the Leopold bore sighter. It doesn't give you 100% dead on center accuracy, but it gets you close enough on paper to make final adjustments at the range.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I've only used the Mark I eyeball. That's always gotten me on paper at 25 yards; zeroed at 25 yards has always gotten me on paper at 100 yards.

:D, Art

hodaka

I, as Art, just use my eyes. I guess a gunshop may have use for a boresighter since they probably do a lot of scope installations but for most of us simply looking down the bore, then matching the scope to the sight point works fine. I just did one this morning on a new .22 and the first shot at 50 yds was only 3 inches off.

Ry-guy

Not a fan of bore sighters.

The muzzle and the last inch of your barrel is that last point that your gun has to stabalize that bullet. I hate sticking something in the end of the barrel if you don't have to. I have always looked down the barrel at a target at 25 yds, bore sighted, then started shooting from there.

Hasn't failed me yet and I have never had to stick a forign piece of stainless steel in my guns.

USMCG_HMX1

I sent my Bushmaster in for warranty work (warped barrel index pin causing windage problems) and they used a laser boresighter on it. It will definately be the next tool I purchase when I decide to mount optics on any of my rifles.

Kris

AK103K

I've only used the Mark I eyeball. That's always gotten me on paper at 25 yards; zeroed at 25 yards has always gotten me on paper at 100 yards.
Me too. Never understood the need for the bore sighter. Just look down the bore and zero the scope/dot to that.

Castaway

I have a buddy that got his brand new M1A1, complete with variable something to 20X scope, bipod, flashlight, expando this and something of that from the local gun shop and headed to a deer stand that evening. Everything was hunky-dory since the smith had boresighted it before my friend picked it up. Guess the rest of the story, he missed three shots on some does 40 yards away that evening. I've never had a need for a bore scope. As stated above, I can eyeball the barrel at 25 yards, then have something concrete to make adjustments from to hit paper at 100 yards. The borescope doesn't take into account bullet trajectory. In my opinion, they're a waste of money and their only practical purpose is to make money from those that buy them.

AK103K

I would think anyone who assumes that "bore sighted" means "zeroed" might want to explore the art of shooting a little further. ;)

fisherman66

This is getting a little scary.

Bore sighters are great for reducing the effort of zeroing in a rifle, but I kinda like expending the extra effort. I'd rather spend the money on extra ammo or take a foray into reloading. I view bore sights as frivolous unless you plan on using one scope for multiple guns.

FirstFreedom

I've only used the Mark I eyeball.

hee hee. Although it's been a few years since he made you, I don't think the Creator has upgraded the version now issued.

I use a cheap Leupold optical boresighter for scoped rifles - set the scope on 4-6 power, and follow the instructions from there - it gets me on paper at 25 yards, then like Art said, after zeroing (or very close) at 25, you'll be on paper at 100. If you DO use an optical or laser sighter - anything stuck on or end the end of the barrel, then make sure you remove it before firing- don't want to end up like this:

http://www.thegunzone.com/kablooey.html

john in jax

I've got one of those cheap Sportsman Guide laser bore sighters and love it. It does NOT mean you don't have to actually to the range and shoot it, but it does save me time and rounds/money by getting me closer from the very first round.