Any SIG SHR 970 owners out there?

SIGSHR

I finally got mine to the range (only took 4 years), zeroed it at 100 yards
using Remington 130 grain Corelokts in .270 Winchester (shades of Jack O'Connor). My rifle drew many appreciative looks and those who handled it
oohed and aahed, were suprised when I told them it was no longer imported
and basically failed in the marketplace. Got a 1.5" group at 100 yards with the Redfield scope set at 3x, I am way out of practive in shooting centerfires
and I probably didn't take my time settling into the rest. Anyhow I would like to hear from other owners and if anyone has-or knows-of one for sale I am
interested.

straightpull

Sig SHR 970 Owner

I got mine some 5 or 6 years ago. I was looking for a Springfield '03 but the shop didn't have it. The owner presented me with several old and new rifles and it went down to just between the Swedish M38 (his favorite) and the Sig SHR which matches my Swiss Army watch. I went for the Sig SHR 970 in .270 Winchester. They have it in sale for $299 and the shop owner told me it's being discontinued. I got a box of Federal Classic 150gr RN with it. I took it to the range and was disappointed because the nose of the bullet is hitting the end of the chamber and won't get in. It didn't happen with pointed bullets that I tried later on. One thing I regret since having it was not buying the 300Win Mag Heavy barrel and bolt offered by CDNN those days. I did get a 30-06 barrel from Numrich though.
I have a 20X SuperSniper in Warne mount and rings on it. I shoot handloads and it gets sub 1 inch when I do my part. That's in both 30-06 and .270. I particularly love the crisp single stage trigger and how the grip feels. Being able to change barrel/caliber in 5 minutes is a big plus.
And yes, some people aahed and oohed. And "$299, really?". Well, plus $25 background check and tax. I guess it was not too bad for a first rifle of a newbie rifle shooter.

bigbird34

Sig SHR 970

Yes there is ,I borrowed some money from a friend a few years back,and when I went to repay him he asked me to go put a deposit on a gun at the gunshop for him....it was a Sig SHR 970 in 30-06 w/composite stock.
After paying for it and taking it to the range ,I was impressed on how well it fired "out of the box" sub M.O.A. shots ....so I bought one also ,in 30-06,I'd buy another in a heartbeat if the price was right....I topped mine off with a Leupold 3x9x50mm scope,she is a tack driver ....don't use it much now ,I switch from my Rem Sendero 7mm Rem Mag ,to my Wthby 338-06 currently,every now and then I take the Sig out just be sure it is still holding it's groups ,and it always does.....an inexpensive rifle,worth every penny !
BB 34

cpguerra

Shr-970

I have an SHR-970 7mm Rem Mag with Synthetic Black Stock and original case to sell if you're interested. I bought this rifle brand new 6 or 7 years ago and have only hunted with it twice. This is a beautiful rifle and I bet I haven't shot it 25 times. I've already sold the Leupold scope but it still has the Leupold scope mounts still attached. I am the ONLY and ORIGINAL owner of this rifle and I have kept it clean and well cared for. Give me a holler if any of you know of a buyer. All sales will be done legally! I live just outside the Chicago area.

MillNeckFarmer

Just purchased a .270 with Leupold 3x9, synthetic stock. Barely shot,excellent condition. Gun,case, 3boxes ammo for $600. Couldn't resist even though I know that parts/barrels are nearly impossible to acquire.

Does anyone know of a gunsmith who might build barrels for these guns? I hate to not take advantage of the ease of interchanging them.

SHR970

MMMmmmm yeah.

Normally in 30-06 trim; with a 280 Rem. as a back up in standard trim.

Also have the bolt, mags, and barrel to go 300 Win Mag.

Would love to find a 9.3X62 Mauser barrel for it.

Would also like a 25-06 barrel.

Problem is that finding barreles these days is like finding hens teeth. The shame is that they are great out of the box and the ability to change calibers makes them so versatile.

The 970 is my go to deer rifle.