Any S&W 1911 Owners here?

thug23

I'm interested in buying a 1911 and due to the fact that I live in MA. and only have a few choices in firearm brands I've decided that the Smith&Wesson will be my brand.
My question for you owners please, there seems to be a number of models to choose from EX;
1. Performance Center
2. 1911SC
3. SW1911
4. M1911
I'd like an all steel, stainless finish and the price isn't really a concern. I will be using this 90% for target/competition shooting and 10% to carry.
What are your thoughts on these models and why did you buy the model you did?
What is the recoil kick like with the .45 ? Hard to handle and rapid fire?
Thanks in advance I apprecite your help.

sholling

Well I don't pick up my PC1911 until Thursday, but I chose it because I wanted one 1911 that qualified in my mind as fine art. A hand crafted bit of functional perfection. A 45acp Rembrandt. :D Mine will be used for target shooting and matches. I chose stainless with a Melonite finish because I like the look and I got a great deal on it. Personally I think of plain stainless as easier to maintain because the idiot marks we all pick up are easily buffed out. I also avoided the DK-Pro version because I just don't like the flat trigger. BTW, doesn't MA require a 10lb trigger? Because the SW1911s that I've fondled ran between 3.5 and 4.5lbs, and the PC1911s aren't much over 3lbs. Of course I've never experienced a 1911 trigger that exceeded 6-1/2lbs.

Now if I were looking for a pistol intended for SD/HD I'd be looking for something a tiny bit looser. The "plain" SW1911 is an outstanding pistol. It's tight but not too tight and is said to be very reliable and very accurate. I'm also guessing that it's going to be more immune to dirt than the ultra tight PC1911, but that's a guess. The PC1911 may not be a bit more sensitive. Someday I will also add a SW1911 with combat sights to my collection, but for now I sleep well with an M&P45 by my bed. The SW1911PD line has replaced the SC line. The PDs come with either 4.25 or 5" barrels and a light weight alloy frame. The weight of the steel frame makes the heavier pistol more pleasant to shoot. The light alloy frames make carrying them less of a chore.

If you've never fired a 1911 you may be in for a surprise. First of all the recoil of a 45acp is more of a firm push than the sharp snap of a 40S&W or even the soft shooting 9mm. At 38-41ozs a full size steel framed 1911 does a good job of reducing felt recoil still further. The SW/PC1911s sit low in the hand. A tiny bit lower than a Colt or a Springer. This keeps down muzzle flip. Personally I think you have shown excellent taste and will enjoy which ever you choose.

Good shooting!
Steve

Last edited:

thug23

Great post Steve !!! And to think I figured it would have taken 10 responses from members to get all that info from one...YOU ! Thanks again it really helped explain things.:D

rjs

1911sc

I purchased my S&W 1911SC with the big script when they were first on the market. Why? Commander length & lightweight. Has a little stouter recoil than my P-II, but nothing unexpected if you shoot .45's. Has yet to burp on any ammo it is fed. I think you will be happy with your purchase.

parrothead2581

My plain jane SS version is great. Balances well, and it just fits my hand right. Extremely accurate. I would like a PC version, but don't feel the need to spend the extra cash.

Mine was leaving a "shelf" on the ejected brass, which made it less than desirable to reload. I called S&W and they had me send it in. I also requested they put an ambi safety on while it was in, as I was planning on using it as an off duty gun. The pistol came back within two weeks, and there was no charge for the safety.

Just love mine.

shield20

I chose the 1911 - an early model I found "used" but LNIB. It has been my most reliable 1911 ever, in fact my only 100% reliable 1911. I checked little things like the cut on the link, and it was perfect, the snick on the thumb lock and it was just right, the sights, the mags - bottom line the quality was there.

I had a lightweight commander (Colt XSE), and I sure liked the feel of the SC, but I do not think I would go with the non-steel frame again; the heavier frame helps in eating up recoil - esp w/+p rounds.

I would not hesitate to get another S&W.

Win62a

MY plain jane S&W 1911 has been flawless in function. I added an ambi safety and replaced the original trigger with a C&S trigger. The original trigger was just too wobbly. (undersized)

The Wilson ambi safety tightened up the grip safety as well, which was an additional bonus.

I did send it back to S&W. After I got it home I noticed that the LH grip frame was noticeably "dished" and there was lots o' daylight between the stocks and the frame. They replaced the entire frame and all's well.

It won't be the tightest fitted 1911 you'll ever handle and it may not be the most accurate, but it most likely will be the best value in a 1911 you'll ever handle. (Accuracy btw, is more than accurate enough for combat/plinking etc)

Warhorse1

I have a SW1911 and it is reliabe and accurate. For me , the trigger is nice, a little lighter than my Taurus PT 1911. Mine is the blued version, but that just comes down to personal preference. Whatever S&W you choose, I do believe you'll be quite satisfied.

tegemu

I bought my Scandium Commander for its weight, Commander length, reliability, Company Reputation and it's feel in my hand. I then had it Bobtailed and, IMHO, ended up with the best of all worlds. You can see it at www.ontargetcgw.com , select " then "Smith & Wesson Bobtail."1911 Gallery"

JoeHatley

The "plain" SW1911 is an outstanding pistol

+1

sw1911_l.jpg

sw1911_r.jpg

Joe

oldcspsarge

S&w 1911sc

I have a S&W 1911Sc Scandium Commander and I love it !

I carry it all day long...in a milt sparks IWB and it is a pleasure to carry.

I have replaced the recoil spring at 3,000 rds..thats all. NO failures with either factory or my Dillon 1050 reloads.

Recoil perfectly manageable...did add UNERTL Night Sights...dropped right in.

Bought a full size S&W 1911 Stainless.as well...no failures at all. S&W has the 1911 thing down.