Any reviews: Fiocchi 2-3/4" #4 Buckshot

I've not tried that specific load, but I have shot a fair amount of Fiocchi's No. 4 buck loads with unplated shot.

Fiocchi is excellent ammo all around.

$6.99 a box of 10 really isn't that bad for quality ammo. I've seen Remington and Winchester No. 4 buck for a lot more.

Lee Lapin

My usual approach to a new/different buckshot load is to buy a box or two, pattern it, and if I like the results, then buy a case or more. Since all shotguns are pretty much different in how they pattern, and most every shotgunner prefers different things in patterns, I'd say it's far too subjective a question to submit to Internet collective "wisdom" and base a decision thereon.

But YMMV of course...

And no, I've never tried any of the Fiocchi #4 buck loads. I like their high velocity 00 loads though.

Orphanedcowboy

Well I plan to run them in a FN SLP 18" with a Trulock Light Full, Full or Extra Full choke. I am ordering a complete set of Trulock Precision Hunter choke tubes, but I think one of the ones listed above will give me what I want at 40-50yds.

I also thought about the 3" load with 41 pellets as well.

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
Both 20 pump and 12 gauge semi-auto at 25 yards. Full choke shoots badly but IM shoots it in a fairly even group to point of aim. I have no problems with it and no qualms using it if I need buckshot. Mileage may vary in your gun.

Lee Lapin

I don't know how well #4 buck pellets will penetrate at 40-50 yards. I know from testing what my full velocity 00 loads (Federal LE127 00) will do at that range as far as both patterning and penetration are concerned, but I'd worry about the smaller pellets of #4 buck without testing in advance.

If you haven't experimented with it yet, try a box of Federal LE127 00 or PFC154 00 with FliteControl wads, out of an open (CYL or ImpCyl) choke. You might be very surprised at the patterns you get. Be warned though, MOD or tighter chokes can open up patterns with FliteControl loads 100% or more.

Last edited: