Any recommendations for liteweight revolver?

breezn2

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a lightweight revolver for concealed carry for the wife. We're leaning toward buying a S&W 342PD, which weighs about 11 oz. The local gun dealer sells them for around $550. Can anyone tell me if the 342PD is a good choice, or are there better lightweight revolvers for less $$?

Thanks.

AC

I don't know about better choices for less money, but own and regularly shoot a M642 (aluminum frame) that weighs about 16 ounces. Shot it yesterday again, in fact, and again wondered if maybe the all steel versions aren't a smarter choice. The problem is that the lighter they are the harder they are to shoot combined with increased recoil with each weight drop, making it more likely you will flinch.

You can argue that you won't shoot it--it's just for carrying. But then how will your wife hit anything when she needs it?

Firing fifty rounds of lightly loaded 160 gr. .38s from the M642 is no picnic. It isn't punishment either, but it really isn't fun and there is some pain involved.

I wouldn't consider a lighter than aluminum J frame, nor any J frame in .357, and would seriously consider an all steel version in .38 special.

alamo

You might want to see if you could rent one at a range or borrow one for her to shoot first. If she is not an experienced shooter (or even if she is), she may not like the recoil of even standard loads on a gun that light. I don't think I would like the recoil from a 10 ounce gun.

If she is a new shooter, it might be a very unpleasant experience for her and not that conducive to becoming proficient with the pistol thru practice. Although she wouldn't care for the extra weight in her purse (if that is where she would carry it) maybe the S&W Model 640 might be a better choice - 23 ounces. A lighter option would be the Model 442/642 at 15 ounces. I believe you will find that these are cheaper too.

Also check out the Taurus 650/850 CIA series. These are very similar to the S&W pistols above, 5 shots and hammerless so as not to snag when drawn.

C.R.Sam

As noted above. Light isn't always good.
Her gun. She needs to shoot as many different ones as possible.

If she gets a gun that she likes to shoot, she will shoot more and get better, therefore become safer.

Sam

gbelleh

You probably won't find anything lighter than those S&W titanium revolvers, and like others have said, you probably wouldn't want it any lighter.

My friend has the 342 PD and it is quite a handfull even with non +P ammo.

A Taurus 85 Ultra-Lite would be a good choice at a much less expensive price (around $300-$350 in my area). I just bought one. It's about 17 oz and still is very light and easy to conceal.
That little bit of extra weight really helps to tame recoil.

If you want a concealed hammer the Taurus CIA series would be a good choice at a good price.

I agree that if she's not an experienced shooter, it might be best to stay away from the super light revolvers and go with something a little heavier. At least make sure to rent or borrow a 342 PD before you buy one.

Tom B

If she is going to carry in a purse I would't worry about that extra couple of ozs and what they will cost you. Go with an Airweight (not Airlite) S&W J or Taurus 85UL.

Kentucky Rifle

I own two light weight snubs that I think a lot of...

However, they aren't .38's. They're .32 H&R Magnums. .32 H&R magnum ammo is a little more powerful than a regular .38 special and not quite as powerful as a +P .38 special. The recoil is much less than a .38. Each one holds six rounds too. One is a Taurus 731UL, 17 ounces, and ported. Nice soft grips.
The other is a S&W 331 AirLite Ti, 11.9 ounces. The grips aren't quite as soft, but still nice.
I like them both very much and can "hit" better with each than with my .38 special.

KR

Eric Larsen

KR nailed it IMO, the 32 H&R may be the way to go. Especially in a light gun. If you want a 38 to up the level to +P's, rent them and let her make up her mind with weight, trigger etc...a really light gun can recoil substantially. You may both decide its not the best way to go. The Taurus guns are good ...Ruger, S&W..all good.
Shoot well

deputy tom

I must agree with most of the above Posters.I own both a S&W 642 and 649.The all steel(stainless) 649 is much more pleasant to shoot.My Wife has a S&W mod 60 Lady Smith which is easy for Her to shoot with standard loads.I also used to own a S&W 640 .357 and sold it right away due to the severe recoil.Have Your Wife handle as many good brand steel framed revolvers and buy Her the one She is most comfortable with.tom.:D

justinr1

I think S&W got it right with the 642, aluminum frame. This gun is difficult enough with +P loads. I can't imagine anything lighter that I would force myself to practice with. The speciality materials go too far over the edge, as far as I'm concerned. Of course, people do BUY them so I can't blame the manufacturer for making them.

justinr1

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
From my personal experience, I wouldn't recommend
anything lighter than the time tested vintage model
60 Smith & Wesson Chief's Special; or if you prefer
blue or nickel, the model 36. They all weight in at
a hefty 19 ozs., and that is light enough for me.:D

Even the "Air Weight's" are uncomfortable when
digesting full power .38 Special factory loads.:eek:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

KEN CHAVEZ

Smith & Wesson

I own two different Scandium/Titanium S&W revolvers, Model-386PD and Model-360. I think they are both great guns. I do not think you could go wrong with a S&W Model-342PD, but another gun you might want to take a look at is the S&W Model-442, it weighs only 15oz. and will cost alot less becouse the Cylinder is made out of steel and not the more expensive Titanium.

Just a thought ;)

22lovr

Smith mod 638 another possible choice...

I own the Mod 638 "humpback" .38 spcl in stainless steel and aluminum. Anything that weighs in at around a pound should be fairly comfortable, easy to tote and shoot. I think the 342 or 360 are way too expensive for your intended purpose. You can pick up a good high-quality used revolver by Taurus or Smith for less than half the price of one of these exotic models (342, 360) that I've mentioned.

C.R.Sam

Ala Dan and others make valid point. A bit of weight is good.

I would like to see her try a round butt 2½" Model 19. If it fits it would be enjoyable to shoot and plenty light for pocket, holster or purse carry at 36 oz loaded.

My five foot hunnert pound grannie carried a .44 Smith in a purse holster for many years. That thing weighed in the 50oz area.

Sam

I have the 442, which is just a blue version of the 642...great gun and as light as I want to go...right in between the ti's and the steel....very controlable for me....there comes a point when a gun just doens't feel like a gun in your hand....I think that point is about 11 oz.....

RWK

Just for the heck of it, I checked the weight of the three-inch barrel, Ruger SP-101 (in .357 magnum/.38 Special); it is only one pound heavier than the 11 ounce Smith 342PD. As noted in earlier posts, weight -- within reason -- is not bad in a small, personal defense revolver. IMHO, I would rather have the option of five .357 magnum or .38 +P rounds from a very durable, reliable and solidly constructed Ruger, when the weight increment is only a pound.

foghornl

Breezn2:

Before you plunk down your hard-earned dollars, try this.

Go to a range that has super-lights for rent or borrow a super-light from a friend, and take a box of the ammo you think you would use in the gun. Take or rent a heavier snubby, too, like a Ruger SP101. Try both guns with the same ammo, and see what works the best for her. I have fired a super-light with +P 38 Spl rounds ONCE.

Just my humble $0.02

Courier

I agree with Alamo, you should check out the Taurus 650 or 850 CIA's. They weigh about 23 ounces, the 650 cost me about $309. The CIA650 is a 357, but your wife could practice with 38's and since it's not an 11 or 12 ounce gun, the recoil isn't that bad.

The 850CIA is a 38 that also would be a good choice for your wife.
As alamo said, it's hammerless so she wouldn't have to worry about it catching on something. I let some officers try it out at the range and they were both as impressed as I was with it.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greeting's Courier,

I see that you are recommending the Tauri line of product's.
Well, my friend as I posted earlier on another thread I would
like to think all is well with Taurus International; as the .357
magnum model 605 I examined looked and felt like a work of
art? But these horrorfying stories about warranty repair work
on Taurus product's has me wondering. I would bet that if any
TFL member laid out X amount of hard earned cash on a Tauri
product that later required some smithing at the factory, and
not only did they (the factory) keep the weapon for a very
extended period of time; but they returned the damn thing
without fixing the problem, we would all be pissed. So many
times, this has been the case; as reported by our TFL team
members. For Pete's sake, I cant see me ever buying a Tauri
product of any kind; until this kind'a problem is addressed.
And then, I would still be hesitant. Sorry for the long rant,
but I needed to vent about the Taurus "Lifetime Warranty"
that the company seems so proud of.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, NR.A. Life Member