Any reasons to NOT use large pistol magnum primers in a 1911

Thirties

Local store only has large pistol magnum primers in that size. Any reasons to not use them in me 1911 pistols? These are not race guns, just backyard shooters.

Thanks.

shootniron

I have substituted small magnums before by just reducing the powder charge about 10% and never had a problem. I would think the large would be the same...but DO NOT take my word for it as I think most manuals warn against doing it.

Mal H

Staff
There's no good reason not to use LPM primers in place of standard LP primers as long as you work up to a good safe load. In other words, you can't blindly substitute a LPM with a load you may have had good experience with using LP's.

The max powder load in any manual you may have that indicates they tested using standard primers is no longer valid. Your max load will be smaller.

hammered54

isn't that somethin....I was just thinking this very same thing ...but here's a little twist to this ?.

if I've been using WLP which states on the box for "standard or magnum" would I still need to adjust the load I've been using if I went to lets say a Tulammo LPM primer?

Matt.

I don't think you'll notice any difference between the primers - now maybe if you use the CCI350, there may be a pressure increase but with WLP and 155's you won't see any difference across a chronograph.

Mal H

Staff
You might not notice any difference, but on the other hand you might create a grossly overpressure load. The rule of thumb, and it's a tried and true rule, is to back off at least 10% whenever you change any component. Changing primers of any type or variety, even if you change from one manufacturers standard primer to another manufacturers standard primer, certainly qualify for following that rule.

WLP's are slightly less powerful than magnum primers from most other manufacturers. They can be used for both standard and magnum loads, but you should definitely back off 10% if you go from a WLP to a different magnum primer.

jimbob86

if I've been using WLP which states on the box for "standard or magnum" would I still need to adjust the load I've been using if I went to lets say a Tulammo LPM primer?

Matt.

MAL beat me to it.

Any time you change anything, back to the "start" load and work up....

grubbylabs

While I agree with the don't blindly sub componets, I use the WLP primmer and a CCI LPM primer interchangeably with no notice of difference over the chronograph with 296 in my 44 magnum, I also use them interchangeably in my XD45 with no noticeable difference in chronograph numbers over a sub max charge of Unique.

But those are my guns and I have run them all over a chronograph. In fact, I only buy magnum primers for pistols and rifles.

Thirties

Thanks for your comments. I bought the LP magnums and will play with load adjustment for the box. The store didn't have any LP non magnums in stock.