Any reason NOT to get Remington Model 7 over 700?

Rath

Greg,

It depends on what you want to use it for.

I have had both and liked both for diff reasons. The Mod 7 is a great lightweight and compact rifle, I have an Aimpoint on mine and will limit my shots to 150m. Most will be much closer. If you are going to be firing lots of consecutive shots through the M7 the barrel will heat up very quickly due to it being so thin.

The M700 can be had with a "bull" barrel so you can get more shots out of it before barrel heating becomes a problem.

Rath

Scorch

Sounds like a good choice to me, if what you are looking for is light weight, compact, and handy.

Picher

The 7 is a good carrying rifle, but not as good at the range. It tends to squirm on the sandbags, due to the narrow and short forend, and it barks a lot. For general woods hunting, it's great.

The short barrel loses a bit more velocity/energy than I'd like for long-distance deer shooting (over 200 yards).

The Mountain Rifle in walnut would be my preference, though the barrel length is a bit long for close-in woods hunting. I never owned one, but picked up plenty in the stores.

A standard 700 stainless in a good fiberglass stock is a fine all-around gun.

Picher