Any reason I shouldn't get a loaded Springfield?

Jonpod

I own a Colt 1911-A1 U.S. Army issue 1943. I plan on selling this as soon as I can locate a buyer. It should fetch around $800 because of its great condition and has holster. I found a local dealer who is selling NIB loaded stainless Springfield 1911-A1's for $540. Cocobolo grips, Novak sights etc. It seems like agreat deal especially seeing the same gun at another dealer for $660. I also paid a visit to Springfield-armory.com and their price for the same gun lists for $697. Is this a good plan? Should I go for a Kimber and have less left over to spend on ammo?

dvc

I have a fullsize Springfield Armory Loaded, haven't had any trouble with it at all. I shoot IDPA with it.

I did replace the two piece guide rod with the GI plug and guide, though. Not because it was having problems, but because I prefer it the way J.M. Browning intended it.

$540 for stainless is a good price. I'd go for it.

With a Kimber, its always a gamble. Either you get a lemon or you dont.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello, sir. I own both Springfield and Kimber 1911s in the full-size pistols. Both have proven reliable and accurate. Out of the box, the Kimber had the better trigger-pull and was capable of shooting tighter groups when fired from a rest on a good day. I do think that for the most part, the Kimbers have an intrinsic accuracy edge.
Having said that, if you wish to get the Springfield, I truly don't think you'll be disappointed, but if you are, down the road you could always have a tighter bushing fitted or an accuracy job done. I'll bet you won't see the need for such after you shoot it. Best and good luck.

Steve Smith

Jonpod, answers to your questions:
You hate having nice things.
You would like a personal defense pistol, but one that is etremely reliable just wouldn't fit the bill.
You'd hate to get all those nice features for only $100 more than a stock piece...you'd rather spend much more.
You want something from us that we can't give you.

I have two, and they've both been great. I also HAD a Kimber, and The SA trigger is better than the stock Kimber by about 50% (it's still too heavy, but at least it doesn't have creep).

RikWriter

Well, from what I have heard the Springfield Loaded is a good pistol and a great buy. However, having pulled the trigger on a few Springfield Loadeds and many more Kimbers, none of the Loadeds' triggers were anywhere near as nice as the average Kimber trigger.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Any reason?
Hmmmm....

You dont like .45 ACP?

You think thats since the Army uses it, 9MM is the key to Valahala's main gate?

You think .38 is all any one really needs.

You consider a S&W K-38 to be a better match for your New England Arms single shot 20 guage.

You dont trust these new fangled automatics.

Hmmm... I could go on trying to guess why not. But I'll stop before this becomes a whole new thread.

Horny Toad

Jonpod,

Why are you selling the Colt? You already own the "real deal", why dump it to get a Springfield?

Horny Toad

------------------
NRA Life Member
SAF Member
GOA Member

HS

The only real negative thing about Springfields is some overly sharp edges which can be dressed by a Gunsmith or dremel tool.
A quick fiddle with the sear spring will usually make a rough trigger nicer or a $60 trigger job will. ;)
Unfortunately the Colt WOULD go up in value as years passs but the Springfield most likely wont....

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail hotshot_2000@hotmail.com
ICQ # 68806935

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
The Colt is a good investment piece - I agree...
But the Springfield is a GREAT SHOOTER. Neither choice is bad.

Instead of a Dremel to the gun - take strips of sandpaper and work it like polishing a shoe... this will give you a more even and uniform curve on your cournes. The Dremel lets you make mistakes quickly - some you wont be able to fix.

Erik

My Springfield is a great shooter. They are typically between $500 to $600- not bad at all for what you get.

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited May 01, 2000).]

ak9

Keep the Colt and buy the SA. Take a second job to pay for it. The census is paying $10 an hour. That is only 50 hours to pay for the thing. You will regret selling the colt. Trust me. Great price on the SA. I'm very skeptical of the NIB. You might want to do some checking. It might be a reconditioned pistol (someone bought it and returned to factory because of disatisfaction, probably a dealer, after returning the customers money). I have one of those and it is a very good gun, but I would not have known had I not asked the question. There was nothing on the table to indicate it was a factory reconditioned pistol. Had the warrantee papers and treated just like new.

F

faiello5

I too would be a little skeptical of a NEW Loaded SS selling for $540. These normally sell in the $575 - $600 range, while the blues go for ~$550 and the parkerized for ~$525. I am very happy with my SA Loaded and can't recommend it highly enough. It is a lot of gun for the money. If it is new and the price is $540, jump on it right now! Good luck.

Frank