Any real testing on HELO 62gr 223?

wild cat mccane

Hey there,

A lot of self hype that this round performs better than bonded Gold Dot/Fusion, but I can't find any testing. In theory, a Gold Dot/Fusion bullet is bonded to stay together like the HELO all copper bullet probably does (refuse to call it a CNC copper monolith as it's marketed :) ). However, what says testing?

Any thoughts?

Solid copper but the price is less than half the cost of Federal Gold Dot or Fusion has me wondering. Currently only a few bucks more than American Eagle 62gr FMJ, so if there is any performance out of it, seems like a good stock up round.

Thanks!

wild cat mccane

Come now, someone must have an opinion on an all copper 62gr rust coated bullet that is claiming to be better than Gold Dot and Fusion that is priced at almost 55gr junk....

Willie Lowman

I searched for a while and could not find a gel test of this ammo.

If you are feeling ambitious, buy a block of clear gel and a box of this stuff and see how it does.

Personally I am not going to rush out and buy any. I have ammo that I know works well.

stagpanther

It sounds within range of other copper expanding bullets--they all play around with their petals, retained bases, induced cavitation, hydrostatic shock disruption etc. for their terminal effects. I wouldn't want to be hit by any of them.

wild cat mccane

It's 2-3 dollars more than cheapest 55gr FMJ (lead core) crap you can buy now...

So it's kinda interesting as an all copper rounds is "bonded" like Fusion and Gold Dot which doesn't exist right now or at 5xs the cheapest crap you can find :)

Do people like the Barnes all copper rounds or no? Imagine it would be similar?

Last edited:

stagpanther

It's 2-3 dollars more than cheapest 55gr FMJ (lead core) crap you can buy now...

So it's kinda interesting as an all copper rounds is "bonded" like Fusion and Gold Dot which doesn't exist right now or at 5xs the cheapest crap you can find

Do people like the Barnes all copper rounds or no? Imagine it would be similar?
It doesn't say their bullet is bonded--they are comparing their bullet to a conventional bonded bullet. There are a number of solid copper bullet manufacturers who make similar bullets that are serrated to cause a "blossoming" of petals. This design looks unique to me simply because the petals closely resemble a conventional lead core mushroom. When you add up the effective diameter after expansion, the depth of penetration and the very high weight retention--this is probably a bullet that will put the hurt on whatever is misfortunate enough to be hit by it. Think medium-sized game and two legged targets.

wild cat mccane

Meant to say, it' acts like "bonded" Fusion/Gold Dot because it says it doesn't fragment while expanding. I didn't mean to say an all copper round was bonded :)

If there isn't any problems...this could be a Gold Dot replacement? I see nothing wrong with it and it's super cheap. But I reserve judgment to you all who know rifle bullets better than I do.

Last edited:

wild cat mccane

To answer my own question until someone corrects, it sounds like Roberts says the copper only rounds don't expand as much as lead bonded round, but TSX in his statements doesn't retain weight, but HELO does 100% retain...so who knows:

"The better bonded loads like TBBC, are definitely MORE effective than the TSX style all copper bullets, as they expand better, retain more mass, and offer a larger surface area, especially through intermediate barriers."

https://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/

stagpanther

To answer my own question until someone corrects, it sounds like Roberts says the copper only rounds don't expand as much as lead bonded round, but TSX in his statements doesn't retain weight, but HELO does 100% retain...so who knows:

"The better bonded loads like TBBC, are definitely MORE effective than the TSX style all copper bullets, as they expand better, retain more mass, and offer a larger surface area, especially through intermediate barriers."

https://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Se...ense_Ammo_FAQ/
There's a bit of indulgent hype in their advertising--imagine that.:) When they refer to frangible copper bullets--they are most likely referring to bullets that are purpose made to do exactly that--or perhaps another design that has a large hollow point and some serrations so they may lose some material upon expansion. Almost all copper bullets are reliant on appropriate velocities for their effectiveness, so that is going to be a huge performance variable across different cartridges. They do appear to be giving a quite lethal load for a common 5.56 cartridge--though they don't come right out and expressly say it since it's politically incorrect in hunting circles-- they are possibly suggesting it's probably a good cartridge for deer.

wild cat mccane

Just to repeat what you're saying, marking is hyped (totally agreed) but everything seems sufficient for this to be a good round?

I only ask because the bonded bullets are the go to and this is 100% retention...

Thanks for the help!

stagpanther

Just to repeat what you're saying, marking is hyped (totally agreed) but everything seems sufficient for this to be a good round?

I only ask because the bonded bullets are the go to and this is 100% retention...

Thanks for the help!
I've never shot it so I can only speculate as to what the data really is--in other words their supplied stats. As I said, copper bullets have a higher tensile strength than lead or even bonded bullets, so the material retention aspect isn't likely hype. The effective diameter upon expansion is probably highly dependent on the velocity upon impact, as it is with all copper bullets, in that respect bonded lead core bullets have an advantage in getting expansion at lower velocities. If I were taking a shot at medium game at reasonable distances with a small cartridge like 5.56 out of a 16" carbine--I wouldn't hesitate to choose this bullet over a bonded 5.56 bullet. In a heartbeat. No question.;)

Seedy Character

I have NOT tried the HELO, but I have shot several deer and hogs with the. 60gr Barnes X bullet
One shot and done. Worked perfectly and MOA or better accuracy.

On the same note, I have used 64gr Win SP and 62gr Sierra HP with the same results.