Any problems found with the uplula loader

1006smith

I have a female officer/friend in my area that has a difficult time loading her Glock magazines (formally a revolver person). The Glock loader just doesn't work for her. HKS is better but still difficult. It seems everyone gives a thumbs up to the uplula loader and I want to recommend it to her. Before I do that,

Is there anyone on this forum that does NOT like the uplula? If not, why not?

I have never used the product myself and I am not asking anyone to "bash" it. Please keep any comments civil. I would especially like to her from any women on this forum who have used the product.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Here are my gripes with the UPLULA.

1. The little "lock" that holds the loader in the folded position for compact storage very occasionally accidentally engages while loading. It's irritating when it happens.

2. You WILL need to read the instructions. I fiddled with mine awhile thinking I would figure it out on my own before I finally knuckled under and got the instructions out.

3. You need a surface to put the base of the magazine against while loading. I've used my leg and my chest on occasion but it works a lot better if you have a table or some other flat surface to work with. I suppose the same limitation applies to most other loaders/loader helpers.

4. This is my major gripe. After I showed her how to use it, my wife now thinks it is hers...

They're great gadgets. I've loaded something like 3000 rounds with mine and it still works and looks like new.

novalty

I love my UPLULA, and have heard praises from everyone that I know who has one. I have rhuematoid arthritis, and it really helps when loading double stack or brand new mags with springs that haven't been used much. It also makes target shooting a lot more enjoyable when you can reload a mag in a few seconds.

I have noticed that I occasionally hit the lock on it once in a while, but do give them credit for making the locking mechanism easy enough to just flick back into the unlock position with my thumb.

Doogle

I know you asked for people who didn't like it, but...>

...it's such a good accessory that I can only recommend it. My father used to have major problems loading my BHP magazines by hand but can operate the UPLULA with ease. I like it too and haven't had any issues with it.

uplula14.jpg

CortJestir

1. The little "lock" that holds the loader in the folded position for compact storage very occasionally accidentally engages while loading. It's irritating when it happens.

This bothers me to no end. I didn't even know about this lock until my friend who was prepping magazines with it came to me and said, "It's broken, I think." It took me a few minutes to realize what the deal was. I guess I should have RTFM, but it's not like this thing needs to be any more compact than it is already.

Anyway...relatively minor gripe but annoying. The other thing is that it is expensive for what it is. I imagine the mark-up on this thing is through the roof. Other than that, it's a nice piece of kit to add to your range bag. Makes a great stocking stuffer...

My UPLULA is a life saver for my 40 S&W Sig 226, round 11 & 12 are murder w/o it. The only thing I have come across that it chokes on a little is the Springfield 1911A1 9mm target 9 round magazines. The "tongue" is a bit too long, nothing a slight change in how you load can't fix, I was just used to doing the Sig magazines. My dad loves it cause it saves his arthritic thumbs.

Jim Watson

Darned near essential to keep my STI-framed .45 loaded. Getting even the 10th round for IDPA in a nominal 12 round magazine is tough barehanded, the 11th for the 10+1 loadout is very tough. The UPLULA makes it simple.

I prefer to use mine by sitting down and pushing the magazine baseplate down on my left knee. One guy here can twist to where he can depress it against his hipbone and load standing.

Since it is made to clear about all pistol magazines, a single stack is a little sloppy in the well and takes extra care to keep aligned. It is worth the trouble if you use overloaded single stacks like 8 round .45s or 10 round .38s.

ZeSpectre

Yeah I'm in that camp too. I really hate the little lock thing.

I also wish it could be disassembled for cleaning because I dropped mine in sandy grit once and it took forever to get it all cleaned out (actually it still grinds a bit. Doesn't hurt the function but annoys me).

I go through WAY too much ammo when I can load as fast as the UpLuLa permits.

so in all seriousness, buy one...or two. If you like a fellow shooter and they don't have one, buy them one. Essential range gear for pistol shooters!

A review I wrote a while back.

Last edited:

spacecoast

Ruger pistols (at least my P95, not sure about others) come standard with a very handy loader. The mags on my 9mm have loosened a bit, though, so I only need it sometimes on the last couple of rounds.

Ticman

Every time I go to the range and someone sees me loading up they ask about it. It's fast and very easy. After I show them how to use it, many times they walk right in the shop and buy one for themselves. Great little gadget.. Of course I see a lot more people using them now.

jg0001

I have both the Uplula and an HKS (for a Sig P226). I much prefer the HKS. I can load without having to keep pressure on the entire system and maintain balance against a surface. Just one hand holding the HKS with magazine placed in the groove and the other feeding in bullets. Nice & easy.

That said, the Uplula is great for its universality, but more of a pain in the butt than a specialized loader designed for a particular magazine.

I have both the Uplula and an HKS (for a Sig P226).
This?
HKS2.jpg

For my 226 in 40 S&W, the HKS was probably the most frustrating 3 mags worth of loading in my life. It was what the range had at the time, ordered a Uplula that night, worst gun accessory ever in my opinion, spend the extra money and get the Uplula.