Any point to paying for .22 snapcaps...?

gfen

...or can I just use some left over brass?

I mean, FWIW, at least "real" snapcaps for centerfire calibres have nifty little spring mounted "primers' in them so it looks like they do someting, but on a rimfire... What possibly can it be? A piece of metal or plastic that gets smooshed flat by the hammer, right?

So, I ask you, other than the fact that left over brass isn't bright orange for lack of confusion, or any perceived need for being able to practice reloading, etc, in other words for the sheer purpose of keeping the firing pin from smasing against the chamber, is there a point?

gfen, thrifty.

rem33

Not done much of that but I just used used brass and would turn it now and then. At least the firing pin won't be hitting the back of the chamber. I have seen old single actions completely ruined from dry firing.Coloring it might be a good idea.

JoeHatley

I use the little plastic inserts. I'm sure spent brass will provide protection, until the same spot on the rim has been hit a couple times. The plastic seems to last a few more hits.

After you spend over $400 for a nice gun, at some point "thrifty" becomes a false economy. IE: cheap.

Joe

HammerBite

JoeHatley said:
I use the little plastic inserts. I'm sure spent brass will provide protection, until the same spot on the rim has been hit a couple times. The plastic seems to last a few more hits.
What exactly are they called, who makes them and where do you get them?

Thanks.

V-fib

Hammerbite,

They are called .22 snap caps. I purchased them through Sportsmansguide and I've seen them at Cabela's. They were 25 to a pack and I think they were around $5. :cool: