Any other flashlight junkies out there?

skeeter1

At last count, I think I've got eight. I just love having a bunch of flashlights. Several have been converted to EverLED bulbs,

http://www.leddynamics.com/EverLED/

They came in very handy here a couple of years ago when we had the big east coast power failure. I've got a couple of UPSs to keep the computer up and mini-TV running as well. Yes, I'm an electronics gadget freak, but I'll never be caught in the dark.

rnr

Long time lurker here, but since no one answered you, I thought I'd go a head and chime in.

Guns, knives, flashlights and to a lesser extent lighters. I like 'em.

Lets see. I've converted (3) my C/D cell Mag lights to 3W LEDs, converted my MiniMags to different versions of LED, got 3 Streamlights one is a 211 Lumen blind-er, a 5WLED Surefire, a couple Dorcy 3W's, 3 of the great little Dorcy 1AA mini lights($5 at WalMart), and a Browning Black Ice. Then a few of the Princeton Tec Eclipse keychain lights. I may have one or two others that I can't think of right now.

Wouldn't mind getting a Fenix something or other, maybe an Arc and maybe some others. But for now, I'm working on saving for a Bushmaster.

hksigwalther

Oh yeah. Last serious purchase was a Borealis 1050. Though I just bought another 6D Maglight from Midsouth last week. Price was too cheap at $18/ea. (First one is about 10 years old.) A few 5W LEDs gotten from Amondo, bunch of 60-65 lumen 6P/Scorpion, a few multi million cp spotlights, a few others. Only a moderate flashaholic, no overdriven/overclocked homemades done by myself.

ocharry

yes you have turned the light on,,,me... i have several of the 2c mag. to 3,123 bat. conversions,,, with frosted bulbs,,, and some other flame throwers and a couple of the 3d mags with the diamond 3w led.. these are kinda nice and cheap conversions......need i go on??;)

ocharry:D

FirstFreedom

Any other flashlight junkies out there?

No not yet, and don't you dare get me started! Guns, knives, hunting gear, hockey gear, and now swords are bad enough as it is! I'm gonna get one of Black Bear's and then stop! That's it. That's the only one I'll ever need over and above a $4 one from Academy....

Right? :p :(

I do have about 4 or 5 pretty decent small flashlights for hunting (ones labeled "Browning", "Winchester", and no-names), as well as 2 miner's headlamps (Browning and no-name) - I now standardize on AA batteries ('cept for the 1 surefire I bought a few years back and now resides on my shotgun in a weaver mount).

raymond-

LEDs, Surefires, Maglites, and HID portables. :) Like pocketknives, or firearms,
you just have to have one for every job.

black bear 84

Yes, a rabid flashaholic here!

I have a bathtub full of Surefires and another of assorted lights, been playing with them for eons and I like to mod them.

For EDC I have used most anything, the one before last was a Nuwai Q III, and in rechargeable 123 at 3.7 volts it is a great light.

The one I am using now for EDC is the Fenix L1P, (one AA) and I run her on Nimh rechargeable, small, great light.
I have done some plumbing repair under the sink lately and fixed an electronic wall switch holding the Fenix in my mouth.

Another Fenix that I have in the key chain is the LOP small one AAA it is amazing the amount of light it puts out, it now supplant my old ARC AAA.

My EDC's of the last few years:

edclights.jpg

For traveling in the woods to my tree stand and out, I prefer an incandescent/LED combo.
I am using the Surefire Aviator (A-2) for that, it let me travel the woods without polluting it with light and alerting the deer, by using the 3 LED's, and then if I need it I have the 50 lumens Xenon bulb.
Another I have in the same league but less expensive if the Streamlight Twin Task that use two 123's batteries, like the A-2 it also have the 3 LED's and the Xenon bulb.
I find this type of light very handy for most chores.

Except when I have to track a deer for my bow hunting friends, following little points of blood in the leaves require more light, I used to do it with my Surefire Centurion III with a P-91 lamp (200 lumens) but the cost of batteries (20 minutes run time) was too much, specially when my friends had a lucky season.

Now I do the tracking jobs with the BEAR CUB, you can say that I created this light out of necessity, the BEAR CUB runs with two Lithium Ion rechargeable batteries (computer batteries) and a Xenon Magnum Star for the 5 D cell.
Overdriven this bulb a bit, I get 220 lumens for 90 minutes run time; two extra batteries in my pocket insure that another 90 minutes run time is near by. The light is nine inches long and weights 13 oz; it is carried in my back pack until it is needed.

I used to use spotlights for after dinner entertainment, we went out every night to see what we had in the property and used one and two million candlepower spotlights.
Now I have supplanted them with the BOREALIS 1050 lumens.
That flashlight (made in the 3 D format 12 1/2 inches long) will put out the same intense light as a two million candlepower spotlight, but with a more useful beam, as it is more flood, showing more real state.
The run time of the BOREALIS is 50 minutes (now I am using the new 2700 mah batteries) and can be used constantly without heat issues.
It is the ideal truck and car light for those lonely roads.

The BOREALIS 1050 lumens with Crenellated bezel and Quick Detach Swivel:

951crene-swivel.jpg

Another light I have in the trunk, a long and heavy Maglite 6 D with a traffic cone in orange, this is for my wife to hold while I change the tire.

As much as I like flashlights, I do use headlamps, I have one in the trunk of the car that have 8 LED's and produce a lot of flood light. Ideal to change tires and look under the hood, as it leaves your two hands free.

I even use one when I work, (Princeton Tech Predator) I direct the light to the job when I solder the wires to the contacts points in the BOREALIS.

Respectfully
black bear

firemedic1975

Yes. Being a fireman I personally believe that one can never have to many flashlights. They can come in handy for many uses other than the actual light itself.

SIGSHR

Best birthday present I ever got was a Mag Tech AA battery Mini-Maglite.
I have gotten so much use out it, wear one every day with either business or
casual attire. Even bought the little wand for it. At present I use nylon fabric
holsters until I either find a truly durable leather holster or make my own.
And the $6.00 or so I spent to have my initials engraved on it has kept
it from "walking away".

Hedley

Just curious, but what is the idea behind Crenellated bezels? I've never figured out its purpose. Is it so that light will still emit if placed bulb side down, or is it for defensive purposes?

JohnKSa

Administrator
Is it so that light will still emit if placed bulb side down, or is it for defensive purposes?
I think the answer is "Yes!" I'd heard that the reason was primarily for defensive reasons, but given that a friend of mine accidentally scorched some furniture by leaving a magcharger on and setting it lightside down, I think your first reason is also good.

I'm also something of a flashlight junkie. I have a Black Bear Search & Rescue (852 Lumens) and I carry a Fenix L1T everyday. I've also got a "few" others here and there. :D

skeeter1

I now standardize on AA batteries

I hear you on that. After the blackout here a couple of years ago, all of the C and D cells were gone, but the store had plenty of AA batteries, and they work just fine in LED flashlights.

old 12 gauge

everytime the wind blows, we lose ele power

we can never have enough flash lights and extra batteries, at least 6 in the house and a 3 cell D battery in every vechile. I have A 50000 candle power by the front door so I can make a persons eye balls spin when they're tresspassing at night.
My favorate in a 4 cell mag lite with C size batts that I carried for 20 yrs. A D-size is too bulky, heavy and don't have any more power than the C size.

we also carry 6 road flares in every vechile, there is nothing worse than have an auto break down on a foggy, or rainy night with no way for other traffic to see you.

FirstFreedom

I've about decided that when I get a Black Bear, I'm gonna run with the Black Bear 720. It's a "2-D" config rather than a 3-D, so 10" instead of 12.5" - will fit in a large fanny pack. But I'm also considering the Polar Bear for the longer runtime.