Mine is a sweetheart,,,

You can not go wrong with a CZ rifle.

'nuff said.

But seriously,,,
CZ rimfires are fantastic.

But cheap?,,,
Not really.

I paid $359.00 for a 452 Special Military Trainer,,,
I could have bought a Savage or a Marlin bolt action for a lot less.

Aarond

sholling

I am looking at the model 455 Evelution. Does Williams or any company make a good receiver sight for this one?
CZ makes great 22s! Unless you get a lemon (CZ stands behind their rifles) you'll find it's a 1-MOA rifle when used with match ammo that it likes. Target level 22s are funny in that you always have to find the ammo that your rifle likes best and there is no predicting which brand and flavor it will be but Wolf Match ($6/50rds) and Wolf Match Extra ($8/50rds) are a good place to start.

The Evolution is designed for use with a scope and so are the American and the Varmint. If you want to shoot with iron sights you'll want the Lux. I had a CZ453 Varmint for a while and it was a nice little rifle. I eventually sold it and bought an Anschutz but one of these days I'd like to pick up a CZ455 American for rabbits and squirrels. The only thing weird about CZ's is that the scope has to sit rather high to avoid interfering with the long throw bolt. The CZ453 in the photo below has a Weaver T24 target scope on it but but for most people I recommend a slightly shorter Weaver V16 or V24 with a fine, Dual-X, or varmint reticle. It would be a shame to put a lesser scope on such a fine rifle.

IMG_0046a-1.jpg

MrBorland

Does Williams or any company make a good receiver sight for this one?

BRNO makes a receiver peep & replacement front for the CZ Lux or Trainer. "Denny" over at rimfirecentral sells them. I have a set on my Lux, and think they're very good.

Sir Loads-A-Lot

I decided to buy a CZ 455 .22 Thumbhole Varmint from John Wayne in Texas. It should be here this week. My question is..the gun has 11mm dovetail mounts. I have a set of real good Sako mounts that were on an L579 with a Redfield Illuminator wide field scope. Would these work and be be a good fit on the CZ?

sholling

Excellent choice! I recommend the CZ rings. The .555" high rings that CZ calls "medium" are about the lowest rings that give clearance between the ocular bell and the bolt handle. It's also high enough for most 42mm objective scopes. But if you have 11mm rimfire rings that are at least as high then give them a try. The rings are measured from the base of ring to bottom of scope tube.

BTW CZ barrels are really tight, almost undersize, so you may need an undersized cleaning rod. I couldn't get my 22cal Tipton rod through the bore so I switched to their 17 caliber rod with an adapter for 22cal brushes and jags. I'd also look for a bore guide to protect the barrel during cleaning.

Last edited:

Sir Loads-A-Lot

Scholling...
Great info..after looking at your CZ 453 Varmit picture I think my 11mm Sako rings are going to be too low to clear the bolt. I will have to order the higher CZ rings, but I will give it a try first.
Thanks