Any one remember the MMC Adjustable sights for Hi Powers

WVsig

A family member has an old BHP which is has frame and a slide that do not match. Slide serial number is 175XXX and has an internal extractor. The slide has an older adjustable sight. It is marked "micro" on the side which I believe is a older MMC aftermarket sight. The gun is a parts guns as far as I can tell but it has some sentimental value to the owner. I would like to help get it into working condition.

The gun was not zeroing so the owner was adjusting the height adjustment set screw and raised it as high as he could. Fired a few rounds and lost the screw and one of the springs. Anyone know what the thread was on these screws? I know a lot of set screws are 4-40? Also anywhere to get those springs or replacements?

Also does anyone know if it used a Novak cut for the rear sight?

It is not this gun but this is the sight that is on the gun and I believe the same front sight.

45wheelgun-albums-misc-picture4497-a.jpg

Last edited:

Dixie Gunsmithing

Moderator Emeritus
I used to mount a lot of MMC (Miniature Machine Corp) sights. The elevation screw, if I recall, had detents cut into it, or at least some models did. Brownells used to sell the entire line, and one might ask them if they have any parts left.

The MMC website that's up now is not the original MMC who made adjustable sights. Someone else ended up with their .com site. The original sight manufacturing company is no longer in business, from what I remember.

WVsig

Thanks that was what I thought. I will call Brownells and see if they have any info. I was also going to call Novak assuming they have been in the sight business long enough to have removed a few of these older MMC sights.

I might just end up letting Novak replace them.

mete

Let Novak replace them. Save you lots of trouble !
I put S&W J frame adjustable sights for a more compact sight on my BHP.

Dixie Gunsmithing

Moderator Emeritus
It's a shame that MMC went out of business, as they had some low profile adjustable sights that you could not get elsewhere.

They had some that could be mounted on High Standard Sport King pistols, without changing the front sight, and made them real tack drivers. I used to coon hunt with one, and it shot as well as any rifle I had. Plus, you didn't have to lug a rifle through the woods. I mounted the sights on several of these pistols, for area hunters, at one time.

Hunter Customs

I installed a lot of MMC adjustable sights on 1911's, they were very similar in style to a Novak and did use the Novak cut.

The sight on the BHP looks more like a Millet sight to me especially with the taller front sight.

Does the front sight have dual post with crimping collars?
If so it's a Millet.

RickB

That's a Micro brand sight. No connection to MMC.
Micro sights were very popular in the '50s and '60s, and came as standard on Ruger revolvers of that era (I think Ruger even stamped "Micro" on the 50th Anniversary Blackhawks of a few years ago).
Burying Micro sights in pistol slides was never as popular as doing so with Bomar sights, but "combat" pistols of the '60s sometimes had "melted Micros" with the edges rounded off.
I'd expect the pictured sight to fit a standard 1911 dovetail, but the HP slide probably had to be cut for it.