any of those 5.7 X 28 bolt rifles leak out yet ???

my buddy made us each a Contender barrel in that caliber, before I got rid of my FN 5.7... & now Federal has some ammo ( actually pretty cheap ) on sale at Midway, & I bought 5 boxes for my builder buddy, for some of the work he did on my Navy's

we were yacking yesterday, when I dropped them of, & he mentioned that now that he had new, non abused cases, he had been thinking about building himself a small bolt action in that caliber...

he's made several single shots for himself, & we talked about a magazine, as he'd like a repeater... the conversation turned to my 22 K Hornet Ruger, & that rotary magazine, & he was curious if the 5.7 would go into the magazine...

... so last night, I tried it... with a very slight massaging of the edges of the metal feed lips, I think the rotary mag would feed the 5.7 cartridge... the Ruger is pretty expensive to use as a base for a cartridge conversion with very little advantage to the new cartridge, but now he's thinking about building a bolt action, that will accept the massaged Ruger magazine...

curious if any of Savages rifles ever made it out, or if anyone else has a bolt action 5.7 X 28 ???

personally, now that I no longer have the FN 5.7, the cartridge doesn't really interest me more than as a curiosity that I keep around, because of the Contender barrel... if I were starting over, I think I'd want to do something with 22 TCM... but I already have the 5.7 reamer, & my retired buddy is on a fixed income, so this would be cheap for him to build...

thoughts ???

Last edited:

HKFan9

Savage scraped the idea after chamber pressure issues sadly, I talked to them on the phone about ordering one a year or so ago and was told.

I had the PS90 and Five-Seven handgun, I wanted a woodchuck light varminter to share the ammo.

deadcoyote

Similar but different, Armscor just released a bolt action rifle in .22 TCM. It takes the same magazines used by their .22 TCM 1911s so you can use the 5 shot mag it comes with or buy the 17 round pistol mag.

HKFan9

Seems like a nice little gun for what I am looking for..... I had a few Armscor used 1911's that were nothing fancy for sure, but they WORKED, and that is what is important to me.

I might have to pick one of those up, I have been eyeing the 9mm / .22TCM 1911 kit they sell..... My xmas list just got longer :rolleyes:

deadcoyote

I'm definitely considering it too. The rifle's not too expensive, and the ammo isnt bad either and can be purchased at two of my local gunshops. The claimed velocity numbers for the TCM round out of the rifles pretty impressive too! It's like a cheap .22 Hornet.