Any news from CZ?

Jacket67

Given we just had Shot Show 2018, I was looking forward to hearing about some new offerings or updates on CZ products.....but have yet to. Maybe I just missed something but is there anything new/exciting coming from them?

armoredman

P-10C Nitride white finish on the slide, P-10C suppressor ready, P0-7/09 OD frames, new line of suppressors, both integral barrel and removable, new Micro Scorpion, and the Sharp Tail shotgun now has a coach gun variant. The suppressors were the most innovative of the show for CZ, I'd think. No new P-10 series yet, still waiting for the US factory to come online and see what they will be cranking out.

WVsig

They could upgrade all their finishes to Nitride and most of us would be happy.
They can’t do that because their manufacturing process leaves too many divots, imperfections and casting marks on their frames. Nitride is too thin and shows the imperfections. This is why the all Nitride Shadow 2 was discontinued. The polycoat helps to cover and fill in imperfections in the frame.

TunnelRat

They can’t do that because their manufacturing process leaves too many divots, imperfections and casting marks on their frames. Nitride is too thin and shows the imperfections. This is why the all Nitride Shadow 2 was discontinued. The polycoat helps to cover and fill in imperfections in the frame.

They must use a different process for the slides of the P07s and P10s then. I can’t find a machining mark that stands out for the life of me and the nitride finish on it has held up despite some stupidity on my end. The last P-01 I owned also seemed to have a fairly uniform frame with notably fewer marks than ones I owned from some years ago. The frames I’ve seen on refinished pistols on the CGW page seem alright, though granted those aren’t up close images.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WVsig

They must use a different process for the slides of the P07s and P10s then. I can’t find a machining mark that stands out for the life of me and the nitride finish on it has held up despite some stupidity on my end. The last P-01 I owned also seemed to have a fairly uniform frame with notably fewer marks than ones I owned from some years ago. The frames I’ve seen on refinished pistols on the CGW page seem alright, though granted those aren’t up close images.

All CZ slides are forged. The P01 is IIRC the only CZ frame that is forged. LEt me clarify. It is the frames that cannot be nitride only. They have to be polycoated. Slides are forged and if they chose to could go to all nitride there. CZ tried to go all nitride on the Shadow 2s but only managed to produce and ship about 100 guns in the US. The rest were all nitrided but shows marks and were then polycoated. This is why you see lots of "Black" and "Urban Gray" Shadow 2s but almost no full nitride versions. For 2018 they discontinued the all nitride version.

I refinished this CZ frame on my CGW 75B. It is just cerakote and it came out well but there is still a pit in the finish which did not fill in.

ybfyUaM.jpg

TunnelRat

That figures then. The last one I owned with a cast frame then was probably my 75-BD Police. It was rough in some spots internally, but I don't remember the exterior.

Nice job on your B model.

Chui

No it it's not. One could Melonite/Tuftride/QPQ/ferritic nitrocarburize ALL of their slides and steel frames and barrels. It's a surface conversion coating. There will be minute changes in geometry but nothing to be concerned with.

PVD coatings on top of that - like Glock superbly does - would be the way I'd prefer for the polymer framed pistol slides and for their highest end pistols - including the Dan Wesson 1911s.

WVsig

No it it's not. One could Melonite/Tuftride/QPQ/ferritic nitrocarburize ALL of their slides and steel frames and barrels. It's a surface conversion coating. There will be minute changes in geometry but nothing to be concerned with.

PVD coatings on top of that - like Glock superbly does - would be the way I'd prefer for the polymer framed pistol slides and for their highest end pistols - including the Dan Wesson 1911s.

Well take it up with CZ. They pulled the only gun they ever produced with a Nitride frame. It is not so much that they cannot do it as much as they have decided it is not worth doing. I assume that they will not be able to charge enough to justify the additional cost. They could not produce the Shadow 2 for the price point they wanted to sell it at. There were not enough frames using their process that could pass QC so they polycoated them. CZs have always been a little rough around the edges. Their fit and finish has never been their selling point.

Also Dan Wesson production methods have nothing to do with CZ production methods. They are not built in the same facilities and are only related because CZ owns Dan Wesson. You do not see any commonality in their production processes outside of the CZ 1911 which was basically a Dan Wesson with a CZ rollmark. Whatever production processes CZ decides to use in Czech has no bearing on what Dan Wesson does.

Jacket67

I guess they did just upgrade the p07 in 2014 which isn't as long ago as it feels. It just seems like all the new offerings from glock and S&W make it seem like CZ should've had something as well. They just put new products out at a different time as their competitors I suppose.

That being said, I would love to see what they do with their next generation of pistols. Any ideas on what they might change? Do any of you CZ shooters want to comment on some things you'd like to see on any new models?

OhioGuy

I'd like to see smaller slide lock levers and a more usable decocking levers/safety. And a stock lighter DA trigger :)

Otherwise it's pretty friggin' sweet as it is!

TunnelRat

Given that we got the P10 last year I really don’t know when we’ll get a completely new design. The next steps would seem to be different sized versions of the P10. CZ already offers a wide array of hammer fired pistols. I feel their catalog is pretty complete.

armoredman

Waiting for the full size and compact P-10. Id love to have a P-10S as a BUG for my P-10C. I would also love to see, speaking just handguns, a BREN 2 pistol to SBR, but that is unlikely for another year or more.
I haven't seen any bad work on my CZ pistols - saw worse looking metal on other big names over the years. The inside of my P09 slide was flawless, and my P-10C slide shows excellent machining. I am hoping to get a P-10C Nitride this year, and if I do, I'll see what she looks like inside and out, betting on flawless again.

WVsig

Waiting for the full size and compact P-10. Id love to have a P-10S as a BUG for my P-10C. I would also love to see, speaking just handguns, a BREN 2 pistol to SBR, but that is unlikely for another year or more.
I haven't seen any bad work on my CZ pistols - saw worse looking metal on other big names over the years. The inside of my P09 slide was flawless, and my P-10C slide shows excellent machining. I am hoping to get a P-10C Nitride this year, and if I do, I'll see what she looks like inside and out, betting on flawless again.

Ask Schmecky aka David what he has been seeing from CZ lately. He reported a higher than normal rate of QC issues. My Shadow 2 went back because of poorly done polycoat that is peeling and shows pin marks. Waiting for replacement going on 5+ weeks.

Sometimes it’s hard to be objective about our favorite brands.

TunnelRat

There are Dan Wessons available in 10mm. I think the segment of the market that loves 10mm is very vocal, but I think it's more niche than they realize.

agtman

There are Dan Wessons available in 10mm.

That's true, but those are produced on the 1911-platform.

The YouTube vid linked above was showcasing an alleged "10mm" 97B on CZ's large-framed DA/SA double-stack platform (with 15-rds of 10mm on display ;) ).

That's different, and initially the vid generated a lot of excitement on the gun-boards because folks just assumed that any such CZ 10mm pistol would be made with higher standards of QC than the 10mm "CZ-pattern" Tanfoglio Witnesses that EAA imports.