Any new developments on the R51?

gyvel

What's the latest news regarding the re-issue of the R51s? Anybody heard anything positive fro Remington?

Badger Arms

This channel on YouTube has the most up to date info on the R51. About the only one still holding out hope for a reworked R51, including Remington it seems. Subscribe if you want updates. If it is re-released, it will be on this channel.

https://youtu.be/EOGPZyIsdF0

James K

Member In Memoriam
Maybe not a good idea to have returned those pistols. It is the failures that become collectibles.

Off hand, it is hard to see why they decided to bring out that gun in the first place. True, they own the rights, but AFAIK no one else wanted them. Even in the old days, the Pedersen design never had any real advantages except that it got around Colt's Browning patents.

Jim

Bart Noir

Has the move to a new factory in a new state been completed? I believe that was one factor delaying the Gen 2 (This Time It Will Work) R51 handguns.

The people who fired the pre-production version at the SHOT Show (I think that was where the gun scribes got their hands on the R51) liked it for softer recoil and the lesser effort needed for racking the slide.

As I get farther into my 60s I know that someday both of those may be important to me. Or that I might end up only operating revolvers. (Can I say that word in this sub-forum? :) A man's strong arms will someday be not so strong.

Bart Noir

chris in va

I agree, the reduction in muzzle flip really piqued my interest. The aluminum frame and removable grips is also a plus.

Badger Arms

James K said:
Maybe not a good idea to have returned those pistols. It is the failures that become collectibles.

Off hand, it is hard to see why they decided to bring out that gun in the first place. True, they own the rights, but AFAIK no one else wanted them. Even in the old days, the Pedersen design never had any real advantages except that it got around Colt's Browning patents.
Really easy for you to say this 18 months later. When I sent my gun back, they told me it was going to take 3 weeks to repair and return. Also, I am not sure if you've ever owned an original model 51, but you certainly would not be making those statements if you had. There were significant and real advantages with regard to ergonomics and recoil control. The old guns are a dream to shoot. Better than Colt? No. They were fragile and over-complicated, but there were some real advantages built into the design.

DA/SA Fan

Bart Noir said:
As I get farther into my 60s I know that someday both of those may be important to me. Or that I might end up only operating revolvers. (Can I say that word in this sub-forum? A man's strong arms will someday be not so strong.

When I reach the age that my strength is all but gone I will cock all my handguns and keep them loaded. If I can still stand I'll shoot revolvers for fun. Unless they get the R51 right by then. Although I hear the Pavonas are easy to manipulate too.

Bart Noir

Although I hear the Pavonas are easy to manipulate too.

OK, if I can find a Pavona in a color worthy of my manly grip, then there is the problem of what happens when my manly grip is not so manly any more.

These guns are based on the CZ-75 design which has the slide partially contained inside the frame. The result is less slide to grasp and pull back. When a person has failing hand strength, the need to tightly grip a smaller area can be a problem.

But then, looking at the EAA website, I find that the Charcoal and Black version are not bad looking. And I can buy a gun made for women, since I already carry a S&W LadySmith 9mm :D

Bart Noir

carguychris

Slightly off topic...

Bart Noir said:
[Pavonas] are based on the CZ-75 design which has the slide partially contained inside the frame. The result is less slide to grasp and pull back. When a person has failing hand strength, the need to tightly grip a smaller area can be a problem.
Having handled a 9mmP Pavona at a gun show, IMHO you surmise correctly – it's about on par with a well-broken-in CZ. The deeply scalloped slide texture (almost not "serrations" per se) actually helps somewhat, and makes me wonder if other gunmakers will copy it, but I still think the slide of a broken-in M&P9c is easier to operate.

Also, to reiterate what I've noted in every past Pavona thread – the .380 Auto version is NOT locked-breech, and although I've not handled one, I strongly suspect that it probably has a STIFFER slide than the 9mmP version, based on having handled numerous blowback .380s of the CZ 83 / Beretta 84 / Astra A60 ilk. I think EAA/Tanfo made a mistake with this; what they should have done is what Ruger did with the LC380 and put a .380 barrel and softer recoil spring in the locked-breech gun. THAT would have been an easy-to-work slide! :rolleyes:

I'll confess that I'm impressed with the Pavona otherwise, although consider yourself warned – there are TWO blacks, one with gold and one with silver metalflake, and IMHO the gold version looks too much like a bass boat or old-school low-rider for my taste. :rolleyes: Tha charcoal and the black/silver are the least pimptacular. ;)

gyvel

Better than Colt? No. They were fragile and over-complicated, but there were some real advantages built into the design.

Reliability trumps "fragile and over-complicated."

I have owned three in my lifetime; All needed repairs. Also, when I was working, I had at least half a dozen come across my bench with various problems, up to and including cracked breechblocks.

I will give you that they felt good in the hand, but I'll take reliability any day.

And yes, I would say that a Colt was light years ahead of the 51 in so many aspects. There are a heck of a lot more Colts still in use today than there are 51s.

peggysue

Black with gold sparkles 9mm. factory custom trigger and larger serrations. Able to cock the hammer and cock slide easier...Buds Guns $330.00. I posted this months ago.

842478d1432283905-glimpse-my-little-collection-eaa.jpg

peggysue

The Pavona is different gyvel. Not paint..Think of a bowling ball with sparkles in it. As you have read the serrations are different and trigger is better. Designed for a woman with a weak grasp.

gyvel

The Pavona is different gyvel. Not paint..Think of a bowling ball with sparkles in it. As you have read the serrations are different and trigger is better. Designed for a woman with a weak grasp.

Ah ha. Gotcha. Arthritis is creeping up on me, so I can sympathize.

carguychris

+1 Peggysue. The sparkle is NOT a finish – the metal flakes are embedded in the polymer, which IMHO is a Really Good Thing, as they won't wear off. The trigger is VERY nice for a gun at its price point, better IMHO than any of the Turk Tanfo clones I've tried.

I'm really impressed by the Pavona and I think EAA/Tanfo should consider a de-girlyfied version akin to the S&W 3913NL. I'm man enough to carry a sparkly gun but it's apparent that some other guys aren't. ;) :p