Any loading data for 300 WSM?

snuffy

Well I went and bought one, now I need somewhere to start when I get the dies. I've been in no-mans-land before with wildcats, but would rather not take that approach again. Any help would be most appreciated. :)

I've been rolling my own for 35 years, shotgun, rifle, pistol, bullet casting, and muzzleloading. :cool:

I've been lurking for several years and decided to register and maybe add to the general knowledge.

snuffy

load results

After a day at the range, here's some results.
Loaded some 168 gr. hornady a-max over 65.0,66.5, 68.0 and 69.0 of WW 760, Winchester nickel premium cases, wlrp.
65.0 average for 3 shots 2963 fps es 36.9 15 ft. screen to muzzle, group was .980
66.5 av 3039 es 46.3 group 1.360
68.0 av 3121 es 19.1 group .920 This load showed some pressure signs so I didn't test the 69.0 load.
I'd say for a 7.5# magnum rifle that's darn good accuracy. This is a Browning composite stalker/ 23 inch bbl. I like this rifle a lot :D

Next I ran some factory 180 gr. power points over the pact.
from 2992 to 3006 fps. av 2998 es 13.9 group was terrible but I wasn't trying to hard to shoot good groups,(2.600"). I got a .950 group on thur. One thing to note, these shells,(plain brass not plated), were showing high pressure. The head stamp was almost unreadable, the brass was flowing into the ejector bore along with difficult bolt lift. I don't know how to convert from 15 ft to center of the screens to muzzle velocity, but they had to be at or above 3100 fps. Winchester claims 2970 for the 180's so they had better back off a bit.

Next came some premium 150 ballistic silver tips.
4 shots went from 3220 to 3239 es 18.9 group 1.950. I got a 1.00 group last thursday.

CoyDog

Snuffy: Thanks for posting the info and welcome to TFL. I'm thinking of getting one of the Browning A-Bolts in 300 WSM, so I found your data very interesting.

Browning lists the A-Bolt in .300 WSM as 6 pounds, 9 ounces. Is your rifle actually that light? Are you letting the barrel cool between shots to get those kind of groups?
Good Shooting, CoyDog

snuffy

CoyDog, yup without the scope and mounts it probably is. Of course there's no iron sights so it's just a noise maker without a scope. I went with Leopold bases and rings and the tasco silver antler 3x9 must bring it up to 7.5# on my kitchen scale. It kicks very hard, after the first range session thur., I bought a past recoil sheild, what a difference! Browning should put a good recoil pad on that rifle.

The whole idea of the 300 WSM is to have a short light 30 caliber magnum that you can carry all day but has some punch when the time comes to go into action.

Yes, I never let a barrel on any of my rifles get hot to the touch. The first rifle I ever bought new was a rem 700 .243 and I shot it way too fast and too hot. The throat was gone in just a couple years. It was about 55 degrees yesterday so it only took a couple 3 minutes for it to cool down. It is a skinny tube so it warms fast but cools fast too.