Any Lefty's with Makarov's?

Chipperman

With all the talk about Mak's lately, I've been finding myself tempted to look into getting one.
I've never held one, but the pictures make it look like the grips are clearly designed for righty use, with a thumb rest. Can they be held comfortably with the left hand? If not, do the aftermarket grips still have that thumb rest?
Is it possible to switch the safety to the right like a modified 1911? How about the magazine release? Would these mods cost a lot? Part of the allure of these pistols is that they are very good quality for the money. If I end up having to heavily modify the pistol for comfortable use, however, it won't be such a deal.

Thanks for your replies :)

Destructo6

Most of the military/police Makarov grips have no thumbrest. Both the Pearce grip and the Makawrap have no thumbrest.

My understanding is that the thumbrest adds a "point" towards a "target pistol" classification for importation purposes. The Maks with fixed sights need the addition of the thumbrest grips, whereas the adjustable sight Maks don't. You can buy original grips for about $5.

Greg L

Chipperman,

I shoot my Mak mainly lefthanded (which I am), and the only problem with the grip is that the laynard ring bites a little after many rounds. One of these days I'm going to get the Pearce grips, but the regular grips aren't all that unpleasant. The magazine release is on the butt so it is inconvienent for both right and left handed shooters.

I don't know about switching the safety on the slide, but if I was to carry it (I don't, I usually have a .45 on my hip) I wouldn't have a problem carrying it decocked with the safety off. The DA trigger pull is long and strong enough that I wouldn't be worried about it going off if I had it in a good holster.

Greg

loknload

I'm lefthanded and put the Pearce grips on mine. No problems. I highly recommend them.
Never fired the gun with the originals. I have an E. German and love it. Great little gun for the money :)
Hope this helps :)

------------------
We preserve our freedoms by using four boxes: soap,ballot,jury, and cartridge.
Anonymous

[This message has been edited by loknload (edited May 24, 2000).]

Tecolote

To the best of my knowledge the safety set up cannot be changed. If you carry safety off as others have suggested you avoid this problem.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

MMM

Greg L:
Regarding the magazine release, try a small key ring inserted around the the release and use that as the pull. A tug on the ring to the rear and the mags pop right out.
Hope this helps.