Any ideas for a parts source

Cowboy_mo

I have a T/C Classic .22 in need of a new extractor. I have tried T/C (now S & W). They say they don't have the part but I should send it in to their gunsmiths to be checked. I don't want to do this as I've been told S & W will say it isn't repairable and offer me an alternative gun (one of the A/R style .22s) and I don't want that. The rifle still shoots great, it just won't extract a loaded round.

I have tried Brownells, Numrich, and others but no one seems to have this extractor.

Hoping someone has another idea!

Old Stony

I think I would try S&W first as they now have a very responsive service dept. and can maybe get it working for you. If they figure they couldn't fix it, they will return it to you and you can try the alternatives. They aren't going confiscate your gun or anything like that..

Cowboy_mo

DC ... have tried both of those with No Joy. Thanks for the suggestion.

Petah, thanks for the suggestion. Don't think it is that but for a few $$ it may be worth a try.

Stony, their last email (S & W) wasn't very encouraging. "We will repair it or offer alternatives."

Great suggestions folks, any others will be appreciated.

PetahW

Alternatively, if the tip of the extractor's chipped/worn & camming off the case rim ILO grabbing it, the tip might be restored with a little file/stone work after the extractor's removed from the bolt.

Cowboy_mo

Petah

Petah:

Alternatively, if the tip of the extractor's chipped/worn & camming off the case rim ILO grabbing it, the tip might be restored with a little file/stone work after the extractor's removed from the bolt.

Are you suggesting filing/stoning into the extractor to allow the lip of the cartridge to fit deeper into the extractor part?

You hit the nail on the head with the extractor problem as the tip appears to have worn or chipped off allowing it to slip over the lip of the case.

Your idea makes sense but I'm not enough of a gunsmith to have thought about it.

Romulus

I find it amazing that parts are such trouble to source for a rifle made in the past ten years or so (I don't know the last year of production but I saw a manual for it dated '03). How bizarre...

Cowboy_mo

I find it amazing that parts are such trouble to source for a rifle made in the past ten years or so (I don't know the last year of production but I saw a manual for it dated '03). How bizarre...

I agree with you but as Walter Cronkite used to say at the end of the history documentaries they showed us in grade school "That's the way it is"

I have read on a number of gun forums, (yes I know you can post anything on the net) that S & W doesn't really want these guns out there since they bought T/C. Hopefully I can find the part or find a way to repair this part as I don't plan to retire the rifle even it means having to "shoot it empty" every time I use it. They are very accurate and feels like a centerfire (weight & balance etc) when shooting it.

Romulus

Cowboy that would be even more bizarre as supporting a firearm is still a "profit center" (gawd hate that term) as well as good PR for a manufacturer, especially for one not so obscure as the T/C Classic. Unless there's a hidden liability reason... I don't know much about this rifle, does it share a platform with any other model, where parts are still available? Just thinking out loud

Cowboy_mo

Romulus, thank for the suggestion. Don't think I have ever talked to Ahlman's before. I will try to contact them next week.

Thanks again!

Romulus

That sucks. Well, S&W didn't say they wouldn't fix it. Maybe it's time to give them a shot.

Best of luck, I'll keep my eyes open, if I find anything in the next ten years I'll send you a PM.

Hunter Customs

Have you tried Jack First?
Their number is (605) 343-9544.

If you can find the specs on type of metal and heat treat I would think one could be fabricated.
That being said it might be expensive, depending on the time involved.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Cowboy_mo

Thanks Romulus.

Bob, I will give them a try tomorrow. I am sure you are correct about fabricating the part. It doesn't look like a real specialized part (appears to be stamped steel). Thanks for the suggestion.

Cowboy_mo

Bob, thanks again but no luck with Jack First. The lady said they haven't had any parts for T/C since S&W bought them out. :(