Any gun related things to see in Gatlinburg?

Doyle

We'll be headed to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/Sevierville for vacation the last week of this month. Are there any good gun places that I need to hit up there? I know there is a Bass Pro Shop up the road at I-40 (supposedly next door to a jerky outlet :)).

tony pasley

There are 3 gunshops I know of in the area, one is a golf and gun shop. don't forget to check out Smokey mountian knife works.

hoghunting

Stopped in Sevierville a few months ago and spend a couple of hours in Smokey Mountain Knife Works. Great place to visit and shop.

My ex and I spent our honeymoon in the Smokies. LOVE that area.

Smokey Mountain Knife Works is a FANTASTIC place.

I'd love to go back now that I have more money (oddly enough, that happened when I got rid of the ex....)

twobit

Bass Pro Shop next to a jerkey outlet! It just dont get any better than that, unless there is a doughnut shop there also :eek:

Glenn Bartley

My guess would be, that if you could find this place, it would make for an interesting stop:

Well, it was Gatlinburg in mid-July
And I just hit town and my throat was dry,
I thought I'd stop and have myself a brew.
At an old saloon on a street of mud,
There at a table, dealing stud,
Sat the dirty, mangy dog that named me "Sue."

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
I'll second the Smokey Mountain Knife Works. I've never seen so many sharp edges in one place :D.

In Sevierville, there's a neat little law enforcement museum that has Buford Pusser's burnt out Corvette, club and revolver, along with a host of other goodies. I can't remember exactly where it is, but I know it's on the left side of the main drag headed toward Gatlinburg and it's hard to miss.

A little bit of advice: You couldn't have picked a worse time to visit the Smokies. Trust me; it'll be bumper to bumper traffic, especially at Cade's Cove. The best time to hit it is the week before Memorial Day. Prices are down and there are no crowds. Any earlier and a lot of attractions aren't open for the season yet.

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
Thanks scottl, I used to make a trip down there every year, but the last time was probably ten years or so ago.

I wonder if Carbo's is closed permanently?

SHNOMIDO

I cant remember anything specifically firearm related...Theres some tacticool-type tourist hole in the wall stores that sell some knives and swords and swat-type gear. you know the kind of places. might find a couple things that interest you, the hand-crossbows are pretty darn fun to me.

That knife-works place people are mentioning is pretty great. my dad has a couple pieces he got custom made on his honeymoon and he thinks they're like the greatest thing ever. hes hardly exaggerating, they do FINE FINE work.

If you a tobacco (especially pipe) man i would very seriously recommend the little tobacco place inside the actual mall there. After going through a couple blends of their pipe tobacco nothing else is good enough anymore. They have the same excellent cigarette/cigar selection as any other nice tobacco place, but they buy and blend their own pipe tobacco and it really stands out.

Nice area, i spend a lot of time in eastern Tennessee. kicks the crap out of northern IL. I'd recommend the Cherokee Indian Reservation as well, pretty sure its right in that area.

scottl

Charlie
I didn't know it had closed either.We used to go quite a bit too.Ever since Dolly took over Silver Dollar City it seemed the attractions went downhill and got too expensive.Like you I haven't been there in a few years.

On a gun related note...The train robbery and good guy vs bad guy shoot out at Silver Dollar City was exciting when I seen it back when I was young kid.

maxman894

I have spent hundreds and hundreds at SMKW, and I LOVE THAt PLACE! Even though not much gun related, still an awesome place to check out.