Any gun can kaboom.. have yours?

If you've experienced a gun kaboom what did you determine to be the cause?

• Squib load prior to the kaboom shot

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Firing out of battery

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Overloaded/weak cased factory load

• Overloaded/weak cased hand load

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Metal/material defects

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shot ammunition over firearm rating

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blockage in barrel other than another bullet

• Not able to determine

• Total voters

raftman

Happened once to a mousegun of mine. I am not 100% sure as to the cause, most likely cause is that the gun was defective. Was using standard velocity ammo, factory loads, and the damage was not consistent with a squib load.

45Gunner

Had it happen with a relatively new Colt Officers ACP. About 100 rounds fired and Kaboom. The barrel was ruined but not other damage to the gun. I called the ammo manufacturer as I had just bought a case of new ammo. I explained the situation. They advised to get the gun fixed at their expense and to send back the entire remaining case of the ammo, which I did. In return, I received two cases of ammo (different lot numbers). I walked away happy. Everything was taking care of but I never bought their ammo again as a result. Now, with this ammo shortage, nearly 20 years later, I may have to as finding decent ammo at a reasonable price is a full time job in of itself.

CajunBass

I've never had one, but I've seen two. Both side by side shotguns, but I don't think that had anything to do with it.

One the kid had poured the powder and shot out of a bunch of shotgun shells, then popped the primers. The underwads apparently got stuck in the barrel. When he loaded a live shell the barrel ruptured.

The other one, a fellow showing off poured in a BUNCH of black powder into a percussion shotgun. He was telling us, "You can't overcharge one of these things. With no shot charge, just the powder, he capped the gun and fired it. The barrel ruptured right at the forearm. I thought he'd blown his hand off.

bobn

blew a case out the bottom of a 45. kimber. my fault. replaced mag and continued shooting. seldom use a progressive loader anymore. bobn