Any good .30-06 semi-auto beside Garande?

dmazur

The Browning BAR has generally been considered a "good" rifle, and it is available in .30-06. (The modern hunting rifle, not the military BAR...)

Another semiauto .30-06 is the Benelli R1.

There is limited availability of something called a Cobb MCR. I believe 100 of them were made as a .30-06 anniversary model. This is kind of an "AR10 in .30-06", if the terminology can be stretched a bit. Scarce as hen's teeth.

Then there's this -

http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/

Yep. A semi-auto version of the 1918A3 BAR. It's a good .30-06 semiauto rifle. Probably not very good as a hunting rifle, however.

dmazur

Any good .30-06 semi-auto beside Garande?

I underlined this part of the original question...

While the Eddystone was a great rifle, originally chambered in .303 for the British and later in .30-06 after we entered WWI (and found out we were short of 03 Springfields), it really can't be described as a semi-auto...

I'm kind of curious to find out what the OP meant by "good". :)

jgcoastie

I would say that the most common hunting rifle in .30/06 would be the Browning BAR. I love mine, it's a MkII Safari w/BOSS, chambered in .30/06. It's an extremely well made gun and holds considerable sentimental value for me.

Because it holds such sentimental value, I will be retiring it from active hunting use very soon after 10+ years of hunting everywhere from Mississippi to Alaska. It will be bittersweet because I will always remember the great times I've had hunting and shooting with this gun with my Dad, but I know that relegating it to "safe queen" status will preserve this gun in it's current (near perfect) condition for my son and his after him.

Powermwt

Depends on what you are using it for?

I have a Garand... it shoots around 1 MOA and I love it for what it is.

I bought a Remington 7400 autoloading carbine in .30-06 three or so years ago and fitted a scope on it much as the author in this article.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rem_7400_carbine.htm

For hunting, a 1.5 MOA 7400 with a suitable scope worked for me at an affordable price.

Goshinki

While the Eddystone was a great rifle

WAS still is I have mine sitting right beside me and its a beast even though the ejector broke but i fixed and its 100
% working again

but yeah it aint a semi auto seeing how it is bolt action