Any G43 Shooters?

jonnyc

I recently got myself a Walther G43 semi-auto rifle, an ac44. It has a miss-matched wartime stock, so it's not a "high dollar" collector gun, and I intended to shoot it from the get-go. It came with the Apfeltor "Shooter's Kit" already installed, and I just completed the package with a repro sling and cleaning rod. After fixing a bit of a "mag-dropping" issue the first time out it has over the past 3 weekends become one of my all-time favorite shooters.
Accurate, reliable, and lots of fun.
Anyone else have one they shoot regularly?

James K

Member In Memoriam
If the problem is not due to wear on the mag catch or the magazine(s), it can probably be corrected by replacing the magazine catch spring. Gun Parts Corp. did have them, for around $10.

Jim

jonnyc

Push on the trigger guard near the mag release. If there's any give (mine was significant), you simply need to remove the guard assembly and give it a bend, arching it deeper into the stock, and replace it back in the stock. If there's no more give..........problem should be solved!

I'll post some pics here later today.
2004-12-31%2023.00.00-24%202_zps4pxzfsgw.jpg

2004-12-31%2023.00.00-25%202_zpslyz0d1g7.jpg

Last edited:

Gunplummer

Have not seen any around in years. 30+ years ago you saw them at shows all the time. Most in the cosmoline, but no stock. For some reason it was rare to find one with a stock. Neat gun though.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I think the G.43 could have been a good rifle had the designers had time to do more experimenting and product improvement. Unfortunately for them, but fortunately for the rest of the world, they didn't get that time. The rifle always gave me the impression of a work in progress, and it was rushed into production too soon in its development. We tend to forget that the M1 rifle did not magically appear; Garand spent almost 10 years working out his design.

Jim

jonnyc

Fortunately the "Apfeltor" kits go a long way in making them a viable weapon, at least for reliable range use.