Any fans of Hoppe's No.9 out there?

Tatsumi67

I recently bought a Hoppe's cleaning kit for my rifle, because I was tired of jumbling parts between 3 others. Anyway, I gave my rifle a good cleaning, and went shooting. Most of the time it's pretty reliable, maybe one jam in about 100 rounds (its a 10/22, I cant expect THAT much from it).However, after cleaning it using the Hoppe's kit and the No.9 solvent, as well as the lubricant, I put 250 rounds downrange, without one jam or misfire. I started buying CCI ammo because the Blazer rounds I was using was prone to jamming, but i still had some to use up.

Out of 250 rounds, 150 CCI and 100 Blazer, not one misfire or jam, not even with the cheap ammo.

Im convinced it was the Hoppes solvent.

RedneckFur

I love Hoppe's 9. Its what my dad cleaned his guns with, so I grew up with that slightly sweet smell. Its inexpensive, and it gets the job done, and it smells great too.

jfrey123

Just tried the #9 solvent, and what I thought were clean barrels ended up having a CRAP LOAD of crud! I think my Glock barrel is now cleaner than it came from the assembly line!

For oil, always used the old fashioned RemOil, but after trying Hoppe's cleaner I'm giving their oil or grease next...

skeeter1

I've been using Hoppe's #9 for as many years as I can remember. I still think it's the best for the first pass through my shotguns after a day at the traprange. I think the plastic wads "melt" a bit into the barrel, and Hoppe's #9 cleans it right up. After that, I usually follow up with some BreakFree CLP or Birchwood-Casey synthetic oil.

Some people complain about the smell of #9, but for me it's like perfume for the gun. :)

Sgt.Fathead

I use Hoppes #9 and WD40 for my cleaning chores and Rem Dry Oil and a SuperLube teflon based synthetic oil pen for my buttering. That Hoppes is great stuff! I agree, their oil was not for me.

Diesel1

I once told a girlfriend when asked what cologne I wanted, 'Hoppes #9". I forgot about it and she went to a lot of stores looking for a cologne with that name. Someone who knew something about firearms at one of the stores told her that it was for cleaning guns.:D

rnr

skeeter1 said: Some people complain about the smell of #9, but for me it's like perfume for the gun.

My wife still jokes that she puts a dab behind the ear to attract my attention.:D;)

But yeah, I still use #9 for deep cleaning. I use breakfree for 'normal' cleaning.

Wildalaska

Lets face it.....

There are far better cleaners out there, far better.

But even reformulated, for an older guy like moi, the smell makes me think of those days of childhood learning to shoot...instant nostalgia.

Thats why even the Blaser gets a wiff of the stiff before I get serious :)

WildsometimesijustsniffitAlaska ™

Dave Markowitz

There are more modern, more effective solvents. That said, Hoppe's No.9 works just fine and smells good. It's my first choice in powder solvents.

I like it a lot for cleaning my barrels. Their Benchrest 9 gets the copper out quite well.

I'm sure there are better solvents out there by now, but there's nothing wrong with sticking with what's been faithful to you...

gunfighter48

Been using #9 since 1960 and it's worked just fine all these years. I don't see any reason to change now, it still works great.

Bailey Boat

I think this may be an "age issue"....... Those of us that are a little older will always have memory flashbacks at the mere scent of #9 because it's what we were smelling when we were kids and around guns, and back then guns were where we wanted to be.

I still use it today but before I pour or spray it I wave it under my nose to get the scent, the scent of my Grandfather and his shop bench, and the sight of an old model 12 flashes through my mind, and I can still see the old Remington-Rand .45 stripped and ready to be cleaned...... #9 is a bottle of memories for me.......