Any experience with this 45 long colt ammo?

musicmatty

My brother has a new Henry 45 long colt. He’s considering doing some deer hunting later this year. His rifle is open sights and the shot would be no longer than 70 yards at most.

He will be sighting the gun in with this ammo in the next couple weeks at 50 yards Bench rested. I was just wondering if anyone had experience with this ammo to share with regards to accuracy and some distance.

Thanks

ece5e8d9-ddca-4dac-89e8-042976a41946.jpeg

502436ee-07da-49af-aea4-a518d0697d99.jpeg

Scorch

Get ready, because she's gonna kick. I fired some of that through a customer's rifle about a year ago and it was an eye opener! Opened hard. Make sure you test feed some in your rifle before you go out, I have had customers that lock up their rifles because it's just a little longer than most factory ammo.

musicmatty

“Get ready, because she's gonna kick. I fired some of that through a customer's rifle about a year ago and it was an eye opener! Opened hard. Make sure you test feed some in your rifle before you go out, I have had customers that lock up their rifles because it's just a little longer than most factory ammo.”

10-4 Thanks for the heads up! I will be looking forward to giving this ammo Some target time with my brother.

AzShooter

I've fired .45 LC out of my Ruger Blackhawk many times and it's not that bad. Pretty accurate round and a good one for hunting. Be prepared for the first few shots until you get use to it.

ligonierbill

I don't know what those fellows are loading, but I have run 325 Cast Performance "+P" through my Blackhawk at 1,346 avg. They're pretty lively, as in sting your palm and wack your knuckle. They do run 1.680, so I will echo the advice about checking function in your rifle. And make sure there are no deer behind your target, unless you have extra tags.

44 AMP

Staff
I don't have a Henry and have never used that ammo, and likely never will.

What I can tell you is that accuracy is a combination of the gun you have, the ammo you have, and the person doing the shooting. ONLY testing all these together will tell you what you get. Anyone else, shooting a different gun, might easily have different results.

And, there absolutely ARE rifles, (lever guns in particular) that will not feed correctly with rounds over the industry standard maximum length. Pistol caliber lever guns, and Marlins in particular are notorious for that though they certainly aren't the only ones which will do it.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the uber heavy bullets. While they do deliver some increased performance, I've never found that anything I needed, and not enough to justify the increased recoil, increased cost, and possible fit and accuracy issues that go with shooting a bullet significantly heavier (and so, LONGER) then the standard weight range.

Also, a word about "+P". There is no standard for +P in .45 Colt. Therefore, ANYTHING from 1psi (one psi) over standard max pressure all the way up to "blow your gun up like a grenade" is technically all "+P" pressure.

You need to know about WHAT The maker is loading to, (If they'll tell you) and if it is suitable in your gun.

Note that I said "suitable" not "safe". Suitable is always safe, but safe is not always suitable. Again, this is something that only testing with your gun and ammo will tell you for certain.

Good luck with your hunts, but DO some testing with the ammo you're going to use before going afield.

And, if you /your brother are going to shoot whitetail deer with the pictured "bear loads" expect complete penetration as the norm.