Any experience with the NW S&W "I-bolt"?

buymore

I can get a heck of a deal right through S&W on their NEW I-Bolt, has anyone handled, purchased, Used the S&W I-bolt series yet? Thanks

bclark1

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301606

Previous thread on the topic - hard to search for though, unless you can constrain the parameter to an exact, punctuated match, the tool returns everything with "I" and "bolt" in it.

In any case, we took my buddy's out to sight it in. He put a Nikon 4-12x50 on it - or rather, I did. His first bolt gun so we did it in his living room, I boresighted using the light from a chandalier a room away. No rests, no vices, nothing but an allen wrench. Damned if the thing wasn't 3" off at 50 yards when we got it to the range. Not bad :p

I'm not a bolt gun extraordinaire so my basis for comparison certainly won't be as refined as most.

Accuracy was decent. I hadn't been out to the range in a while, but we kept it at 50 yards because we were in close. I wouldn't brag about my groups, but it was me, out of practice, with CMP surplus ammo, so I'm sure the gun could outshoot me for the time being at least. My buddy used Winchester Super-X 150gr and was under two inches at 50 yards. Again, nothing to brag about, but we'll have to see when we actually have time out on the hundred yard range. We were really just trying to get it out for a test run quickly because we only had about an hour 'til the range closed.

Trigger was well above average. Haven't played with any of Timney's aftermarket stuff or had any custom jobs, but it was better than the pull on my bolt, or most of my rifles for that reason.

Bolt throw was average, maybe a little above - I would rate my rifle's as below average, this one was better, but like I said my bolt experience is limited.

I wasn't as big a fan of the stock, but it's functional. Still wondering what you do with that flush sling stud if you want to mount a bipod. Recoil's not too bad, but I also didn't do a whole lot of shooting.

We did encounter a feeding problem - I don't know if he loaded it funny, but he managed to get the rounds to stick down in the magazine such that the bolt would move over them without chambering. Only happened once, might just be a "new gun" issue, once more rounds go through they'll move smoother, or maybe a stiffer spring would help.

I still like the integral bases - one less thing to buy, one less thing to loc-tite, one less thing to go wrong.

Anyway, that's what we've got. Hopefully make it out again soon with a more aggressive report. If I can challenge him on the 100yd line that'd probably pull out some better accuracy, the both of us definitely focus a little better when we are being competitive.