Any decent clones of S&W M18 Combat M'piece .22LR??

nfafan

Hello all,

Was looking for a S&W M-15 4" like I futtzed with in the USAF, but realizing I can't afford the plinking costs of .38SPL, figured I'd look for the .22LR version...

YEEEowza - $6-7XX.00; that's lo-end 1911 or AR-15 money.

So - any worthy clones of the Model 18 .22LR that I could find to duplicate the feel and handling? A Charter, Taurus, Ruger, some obscure brand like Rexio, obsolete High Standard?

Thanks!

Baba Louie

Truthfully? No. Buy once, cry once and all that. It will, more than likely, outlive you. Compare S&W prices to Colt's .22s (Diamondback, Trooper, PP, OM, etc) and then glady shell out 600-700 for the Smith.

Ruger used to chamber their SP101 in .22 and even those, when you can find one, is/are... pricey. (tho I have read on the 'net they're going to manufacture them again, who knows?)

Dan Wesson might be a find if you get lucky.

H&R 922 & 999... those who have them seem to love them, but is it an equal to the 18? Not really IMO.

Cannot offer an opinion on the Taurus or Charter Arms other than they're out there and seem to be plentiful and inexpensive... probably for good reason.

Don't overlook the little J frames. 34/63s are fun and well built. The 317 series is light as can be, but are not what you're looking for I know. But I'd take one of those over an obscure other maker model (and have).

Good luck on your quest. Other members with more knowledge will come along and give better advice, but my own advice is to save save save, sell body parts if need be:D then buy an 18 or older K22 4" (or Diamondback if you win the lottery). You will appreciate it even more I'd bet.

steveno

you don't say what state you are in but Scheel's in Lincoln had a M-18 for $450 as of this last thursday. it was at least 95% and it didn't have a lock

22-rimfire

As good or better than a S&W M18 for less cost??

As far as good DA 22 revolvers go, you are pretty much limited to S&W and Colt products. Since Colt is not making them anymore, these days I lean toward S&W for shooting.

I doubt you will regret buying a used M18 or a 4" M617 once the pain of the purchase passes. You can find them used in good condition.

If I were in the market today for my first DA 22 revolver, I would probably wait until the new Ruger SP-101 comes out (reportedly in August) and take a look at one as soon as you can handle one. I suspect they will sell like hotcakes at first. I want to make a judgement relative to the trigger and overall value. I felt the old ones had a far to heavy trigger. There are threads around where the new SP-101 is discussed.

You may well have to decide how important a better factory trigger is to you in terms of revolver cost. If you will mostly shoot only in single action, the trigger may not be as important to you.

Dapperdan

Aside from the new Ruger SP101 that is coming out, I think you'll be disappointed in anything but the real thing. I know new 18's are pricey, but you won't find anything that compares except for the used ones, as stated. Save your pennies and get what you want, it's always a big hit initially, but , you'll be happier in the long run. Believe me, I speak from experience. Smith has a lot of nice guns in the Classic series. I just bought a 4" Model 29 that I am very pleased with. Don't shortchange yourself, life is short.

CajunBass

The only thing in the Model 18's class,is a 617, and that's not quite the same and still cost as much. Anything by Colt will be more. The River SP-101 is a smalller gun. The Dan Wesson is bigger.

If you want a Model 18, there really isn't anything else.

At least not in my opinion.

Another alternative however, would be to take up reloading 38's.

Last edited:

Dobe

I lucked up on a Mod 18 once. It was in mint condition too. It just show that the right place at the right time means everything.

ThomasT

Taurus used to make a model 96 (IIRC) that was a 6" barreled K Frame sized 6 shot revolver. I had the only one I have ever seen and have never seen another on GB or any other auction site.

It was a slick gun that shot as well as I could hold. I used mine in falling plate matches for a while. I don't remember ever having a single misfire with it even after I lightened the springs. I wish I still had it.

Chesster

With patience and money in hand, you can still find Smith 18s for less than $500 like the one below. I bought this one a couple of years ago and have seen 3-4 others in the 4-500 range since then. I have a second one I bought new in the box around 30 years +/- ago and had it professional tuned. I would only think of parting with it if four digits were mentioned, before the decimals. :)

smith18.jpg

Venom1956

Arguably .22s are the guns you'll put the most rounds thru in your lifetime... why skimp on them when your going to enjoy them the most? The 2 most expensive pistols in my safe are .22s one revolver(Colt) one semi(S&W).

Save up get a Model 18 and enjoy. You'll thank us later.

C0untZer0

I've already resigned myself to shelling out the cash to get the 617.

Yes it's pricey, but if I pay $400 or $500 for something that doesn't really have a good trigger, gritty action, and just generally not as accurate as I'm expecting from a 617... it's going to be like I totally wasted $400

I'd rather pay - even overpay and at least have something of value to show for it than to have a piece of junk laying around constantly reminding me that I wasted my money.

22-rimfire

I'd rather pay - even overpay and at least have something of value to show for it than to have a piece of junk laying around constantly reminding me that I wasted my money.

I have been on both sides of this and I generally agree with this statement and buy my firearms accordingly. Good stuff costs. It always has.

A friend of mine commenting ... you paid $500 or $600 for a 22??? You crazy? Call me crazy and I will be as proud of it in 10 years as I am today.

sheepman

Used 18s (if you can find them) and 17s in good shape go or $450 up. Back 4 or five years they were in the $300 and up range. With just a little care the 18 will last a life time of shooting, if you spread the extra cost over 20+ years it is a small price. For a revolver, the S&W 17 is my favorite 22 (same gun with 6" barrel).

Of the 22 double action revolvers in production today, I don't think there is any thing equal to it for quality and accuracy. I had a K22 when I was kid, traded it off and regretted it. It's your money but quality is cheep in the long run. :D

bossman

I have a Comanche 1 that's a 9 shot clone of the S&W 17. If you find one they should be 1/3 the price of the S&W. A really great plinker.

5277685907_c16b3bb615_z.jpg

5277686045_200a599054_z.jpg

dgludwig

Was looking for a S&W M-15 4" like I futtzed with in the USAF, but realizing I can't afford the plinking costs of .38SPL, figured I'd look for the .22LR version...

Yeah, it's the same revolver I was issued during the last two years of my four year stint as an Air Policeman in the early sixties (stateside; when stationed at Anderson AFB on Guam, the Air Force was still arming us with 1911 pistols). Because nostalgia often demands authenticity, you might want to consider getting what you really want (the Model 15) and take up reloading. You can reload .38 Special ammunition pretty darn cheaply.

CajunBass

I've seen a couple of those Taurus 96's, nice guns, but more akin to the Model 17,than the 18.

Patience. I've been looking for an 18 for years. Put one on hold today.

robctwo

There is a very nice 18-3 on the S&W guns for sale right now, $650+25 shipping.

I bought a great 18-3 last year for around $700. I've put thousands of rounds through it with no effect on the gun other than needing cleaned. I expect another 20 years of fun out of it and a great gift to the kids or grand kids. How much did it cost me for all that?

DSCN0088.jpg