Any CZ experts

tango3065

I need some expert advise on a couple of qustions before I mod my CZ40P.

Can a stainless steel guide rod be used in a 40p with a alloy frame? (I have heard both ways and need to know for sure if it will or will not)

Can I polish and make it shiney my barrel. (again I have heard some say yes and some say no)

Thanks in advace

Walter

Can I polish and make it shiney my barrel. (again I have heard some say yes and some say no)
In my experience, unless it's stainless steel, "polished" barrels are a
magnet for rust.

Walter

Ricebrnr

Right that barrel coating you're wanting to polish off is a surface treatment, do not polish it off. Buy and aftermarker barrell if you must have it shiney. You can buff it though.

As for the guide rod, why do you want one? If for the weight, I've not heard any problems with using a stainle guiderod in any CZ BUT that being said, there is nothing wrong with the polymer ones either.

atblis

Both of those things

A bunch of people have polished their barrels over on czforum.com. I haven't heard of any bad results from it yet.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time. I didn't buy the gun to look at it, it does absolutely nothing for the performance, as said above you might be encouraging rust. It isn't shiny, so what? You want something shiny, buy a chrome plated Lorcin.

Again fixing things that aren't broken. There's no reason to replace the factory guide rod. yes it's made out of plastic, but... Is something not working right? Did it break? I have yet to break one of the plastic guide rods. The guide rod is just there to keep the spring from kinking up. A plastic one serves this function perfectly. If you're trying to add mass, then you should have bought a steel framed gun.

Also, don't fall into the replacing recoil spring thing. It isn't necessary, and a heavier spring will cause your slidestop to fail. If you listen to how people determine what spring to put in, you just about always here "the XXlb spring feels right." That right there should tip you off.

Again, don't fix it if it aint broke. If your gun runs fine, shoot it. Don't start tinkering unless something isn't right.

Bompa

I don't know about the 40p but one of my 75b's came with a steel guide rod and one came with the plastic job..Called CZ USA and asked what was what..Was told that the switch to plastic was like adding a buffer..So I changed the metal one for plastic and have had no problems at all..Some CZ springs have been known to be a bit soft,replaced the mag springs with +10's and recoil springs with same poundage as factory..

Ricebrnr

Follow up info;

regarding steel guiderods

Quote:Question 1: are metal guide rods available from CZ for the compact models (FLGRs)?

Answer 1: Steel recoil spring guides are available for the 75 compact pistols but are only recomended for the steel frame pistols, except for the compact 40.(All current recoil guides are plastic, except the 75B 40.)

This response confused me, so I sent him a followup question about the 75B .40 compact. His response:

Quote:Due to the configuration of the recoil spring on the CZ 75 Compact .40sw (flat wire coil), the steel recoil spring guide cant be used.

It will disrupt the coils of the factory spring. Even when combined with a Wolff Compact recoil spring, it will chew up and spit out the Wolff spring in just a few cycles. The cause for this has yet to be determined, but is more than likely due to the increased recoil and shorter over all length of the compact 40 pistol.

Quote:Question 2: are they (metal guide rods) available from CZ for the 97B. (We know that the rods used with 75B in .40 have been provided in the past.)

Answer 2: There are none made for the 97B but the 75B 40 steel guide will work.

Quote:Question 3: does the use of after-market (not CZ-made) metal guide rods affect the warranty of these guns?

Answer 3: The use of aftermarket parts of any kind will void the warranty,if the claim is caused by the use of said part.

It would appear that metal guide rods are OK for steel frame guns, but are not advised at present for the steel 75B Compact in .40.

If you choose to use a steel guide rod in an alloy gun, and have frame or slide wear (not seen by users, thus far), repair of wear caused by the steel guide rod won't be covered under warranty.