Any current-production 35 Rem bolt guns?

hammie

I can't remember any. All the .35 bolts I've ever seen were .35 Whelen.

Decades ago, savage did make a pump action, model 170 I believe, chambered for .30-30 and .35 remington. The number of 30-30's that I've seen can be counted on one hand with fingers left over. I've never run across a .35 remington, and so they might be rare.

What would be nice to have is a remington 7600 pump. Remington made a run of those in .35 remington in the not too distant past. The 7600's have been pretty accurate for me, assuming one can acclimate to the spongy trigger. Again, the 7600's in .35 remington may not be too easy to find.

It might be possible to make a .35 remington on a savage short action. The one hurdle would be the bolt head. The .35 remington is an odd size at the base. You would have to buy a .223 rem size bolt head and have someone machine it out to .460 and modify the extractor. It should be easily doable otherwise.

You're right. The .35 remington is versatile. I have a 336 and I have loaded lightweight (125 grain and 140 grain) .357 bullets in it just for fun. You just have to screw the stem on the seating die pretty far down. The 180 grain speer flatpoint (not a pistol bullet) makes the .35 remington a pretty good deer cartridge.

jmr40

The 336 is no longer made in 35 Rem. Remington made a few model 7's in the chamberng as well as a few 7600 pumps that turn up from time to time. I think the 7 can be had from the custom shop as well.

I own one of the 500 LTS Marlin made only 500 of in 2005. I've had several others in the past. I've always felt it was one of the more over rated chamberings available, but cool to have somthing different.

hammie

@jmr40: When you said the marlin .35 rem's were discontinued, I thought, "No. Say it isn't so." I went to the manufacturer's web site, and sure enough, the .35 remington chambering was no longer offered. Bummer. In my early days in missouri, the .35 remington was a popular round for deer hunting.

PVL

If I remember correctly, one of the aftermarket barrels for small-ring Mausers is .35 Rem..

I'll look at Midway when I get a chance, I think that's where I saw it.

PawPaw

If you really want a bolt .35 Remington (and I'm a fan of the cartridge) it might be a good project gun. Find a Savage or Remington action and have a barrel fit to the action. That might make a dandy woods gun.

If I weren't currently enamored of the .338 Federal, that might be my next project rifle. I'm sure that Pac-Nor or someone else would make a barrel to fit a standard action.

I'm a fan of the cartridge and I have an old Marlin 336 with a 2.5X scope that will put my handloads into 1.5 inches all day long. It kills like the hammers of hell and is altogether a wonderful woods rifle.

Scorch

Like a lot of excellent chamberings, the 35 Remington has faded because of the speed factor. If it had a belt, you could find it just about anywhere. Instead, it is a mild velocity, low recoil deer killer, so its no longer available. Same category as 32 Special and 38-55, just good for killing deer. Maybe they could rename it the 9 mm Tactical and sell a million more rifles chambered for it.

Daekar

Lol Scorch, that's not a bad idea! 9mm Tactical, lol. Glad to see I'm not the only one bitter about losing practical cartridges in favor of impractical ones.

After I get my 223 reloading figured out (accumulating reloading bits and bobs slowly) I might try a 35 Rem project rifle like you suggested. There's a local gentleman who would be interested in the idea, I think, who is more than capable of doing it for me. Will have to decide what kind of sights I want, eventually. The first idea I had revolved around iron sights, but it would be easier to get an inexpensive holographic sight if I were going with a custom job. Truth be told, the holo sight be actually be lighter weight than the equivalent steel peep+post setup!

Jim Watson

I had a Remington Model 600 in .35 Rem.
Of course that was a long time ago and finding one on the secondary market will be a good trick.

reynolds357

Scorch, I think the belted stuff is moving toward the endangered list. Beltless is now the trend. Not my trend, but the trend.

wooly booger

I don't think anything has been made in .35 Rem for quite a few years. Marlin was the last. Candidly, Marlin shouldn't even be publishing anything being chambered in their lever guns. I don't think they have shipped a lever gun in over a year.

The only solution if you want a new .35 would be a TC G2 Contender with an aftermarket barrel.

Daekar

Boy, that's really a shame... I hate to see such a good company lose their most iconic product line to quality issues stemming from mismanagement. It's a shame the 35 is falling out of favor too. I suppose we'll all be able to make-do with 30-30s or 44 magnums, but the variety would be nice.

steveNChunter

If I could pick any cartridge to be resurrected commercially it would be a toss up between the .35 remington and the 6mm remington. I would love for Browning to make a BAR chambered .35 rem. Dont know if they ever did... That would make an awesome woods gun

Daekar

You know, it would be interesting to develop a pitch for Scorch's "9mm Tactical" and go post an interest thread/poll over on the AR-15 boards. I'll devote a few brain cells to it this evening and see if I hit on any ideas. How would YOU pitch the 35 Rem to the younger tactical crowd?

PawPaw

If you're looking for a bolt-gun project and don't want to go through the expense of opening a bolt face for the .35 Remington, you might consider the .358 Winchester. Basically a necked up .308, it would be an easy barrel swap on a rifle with a .308 bolt.

ThomasT

I have wanted a 35 rem bolt for a long time. I have read in two different places the remington made a model 7 in 35 remington but I have never seen one. I even called remington and the lady on the phone did a quick check and said she didn't see where one was offered.

My buddy has a pre saftey marlin in very good condition and its for sale. The problem with this round is ammo and componants are hard to find. Even when things are normal its scarce. Right now, forget it. His brother has a new, unfired remington 760 pump I want in the worst way. He won't sell it. He is doing this to aggrevate me. Its working too. He will never shoot it. Rat fink!!!:D

I sorta scratched my 35 rem itch with a lever in 44 mag. I can get a little over 2000fps with a 200gr bullet from my gun. That should match the 35 caliber gun. I am on the lookout for a ballard rifled 444 marlin. Then forget the 35 all the way around.

Here is a comparison chart for the 35 rem and the good ole 30-30. On paper at least the 30-30 looks pretty good.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/compare.htm

James K

Member In Memoriam
.35 Remington has good points, but it also has problems. It is an odd-wad case size (in common with the other Remington cartridges of the day) and it has headspacing problems because the small shoulder does not provide enough case support. That was a frustration factor in the Marlin lever guns, which often had failures to fire due to lack of good support.

Jim

steveNChunter

The .35 Whelen could be a good modern alternative. Has a little more recoil but flys about 700fps faster. Great round for anything deer-sized or larger in North America. You can find alot of new guns chambered for it