Any comments on Kimber .22 LR conversion kit?

tj_mlnr

Hello everyone,

Allthough I'm more partial to revolvers, I am currently looking to buy a 1911 model 45, either the Kimber Custom II or the Springfield MilSpec/Full Size to be precise. I'm leaning towards the Kimber because of their conversion kit which allows me to shoot more often without going broke. My question: does any of you have any experience with this converted 1911 Kimber? Does it shoot well without a lot of jams, is it fairly accurate, or is it a waste of my money and should it not be a consideration when purchasing either of the above mentioned 1911's. Thanks in advance for your input.
Tom.

LHB1

Tom,
I use the Marvel Unit 1 on my Kimber Custom II and it is fantastic! Comes with a sample target and guarantee of 5 shots in less than one inch at 50 yds! It is so good, some shooters use them in NRA Bullseye competition.
Note the following regarding .22 conversion kits:

1) There are two kinds: full recoil slides (like std 1911 slide) and partial recoil slides (like S&W M41) where only a small portion of slide recoils. Full recoil slide models (Kimber, Wilson, Ciener, Marvel Unit 2) require use of HV ammo only. Partial recoil slide model (Marvel Unit 1) can use either HV or std velocity ammo.

2) Some conversion kits require a breakin period before functioning 100%. I have a Marvel Unit 1 and it is GREAT but it did require a breakin. Problem was the black finish applied to slide created small amount of extra friction on the rail bearing surfaces which slowed the recoil and created FTF's. After firing a couple of hundred rounds, I noticed some shiny spots occurring on the slide rails where this black finish was being polished smooth. After helping this smoothing effect along (VERY CAREFULLY AND LIGHTLY) with straight piece of wood wrapped in 600 grit sandpaper, my conversion unit began running 100% with Win, Rem, and MiniMag ammo.

3) AFAIK, NO .22 conversion units stay open after last shot. Reason is they are made of aluminum and the soft metal won't take the pounding without battering the stop notch.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

ps: One reason for extreme accuracy of Marvel Unit 1 is that sights and barrel are firmly fixed to the main (NON-recoiling) portion of slide. Thus they NEVER change relationship to one another. Only the small middle portion of slide recoils (like S&W M41) to extract fired case and feed new round.