Any Bullseye/2700 shooters here?

SIGSHR

Anybody? On another forum one shooter made the point that he did not
really learn to shoot a handgun until he practiced the 22 leg of 2700 shooting in college and that was my experience. Holding the handgun out in front of
you really forces you to master sight alignment, breath control, trigger control, getting a proper grip in ways I think other shooting sports do not and while it is at present old fashioned and seen as an older shooter's sport (hey, I am 58) I think good old fashioned target shooting will let master not only
that but the other handgun shooting forms as well. Ed McGivern set most of
his records using only one hand and in his book he says the sights are used the same way they are in slowfire.

T. O'Heir

Shot ISU bullseye(called something else now) for years. Great fun. You'll likely find that the best IPSC/IDPA/pin shooters are also very good at bullseye. You can be as fast as a rat, but you still have to have the sight picture, trigger control, etc, etc. to hit what you're shooting at. Like you say, bullseye shooting teaches that. I always found .22 slow fire to be the most difficult. Mind you, I was younger then. Have glasses now. Probably should have had them long ago.

cdrt

I've been shooting Bullseye off and on since 1974. The course of fire may seem old fashioned to some, but the 50 yard slow fire stage can certainly separate the men from the boys.

HammerBite

T. O'Heir said:
I always found .22 slow fire to be the most difficult.
I had the same problem. I tended to relax my grip too much with the .22 and, because I expected .22 to be my best gun, I would get upset with myself when things didn't go just right and think too much and try too hard.

I've been told that bullseye is as much about mastery of the mind as mastery of the gun, and I believe it.

LHB1

I shot NRA Bullseye competition many years ago. Really learned how to shoot a pistol when trying to hit a three inch ten ring at 50 yards using a .45 ACP 1911 pistol with one hand and open sights. Nearing 69 now and age has diminished muscles and eyesight. I have to use two hands to hold the pistol and sights are frequently blurry. Also shoot at 20-25 yds these days. After about an hour of shooting, muscle and eye fatigue/tremors begin to cost me fliers and dropped points. But I still have fun and go shooting once or twice a week with the .45.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB