Any Body Having Any Luck in East Texas?

ckurts

I sure ain't. Rained like a cow peeing on a flat rock most of opening weekend. The weekend after that it was about 90 degrees by 10:00 AM Saturday morning. This past weekend- full moon and there was some kind of horse show or rodeo not far from my lease, people running generators, PA system running full blast....dang! Not a sign of anything coming close to my feeder, even the hogs are staying away- and they were really tearing it up in October.

So, what about everybody else in this part of the world?

K

KilgorII

You calling Houston "East Texas?"

Friends are reporting some deer sightings and killings in the Longview/Tyler area.

ckurts

Kilgore, my lease is up north of Livingston in Polk County, about 90 miles from where I'm sitting.

Now Houston IS east of San Angelo.... ;)

Couple of guys took bucks home opening weekend, 6 and 8 point, small rack, big bodies- but then I'm used to west Texas canyonlands deer (Junction-Sonora-Rocksprings)where a large, mature buck might go 135 lbs dressed.

All through October I was seeing deer scat and something was eating the corn at the feeder.

My little brother lives near KilgorII and he's reported seeing a few here and there; some of his friends have gotten some, but he's not been hunting in earnest this year. The ones I've seen have been fairly heavy bodied with teensy little racks, but that's fairly typical of horns in Gregg-Rusk county. I think he's going to try to take time this weekend and sneak off to hunt...he used to have a deer lease near Deadwood but I considered it more beer lease than deer lease. Last time I was there with him the only thing I saw were pigs and inebriates.

Of all things, he's been looking for a Rossi Matched Pair (or Matched Triple) with a .243 barrel in the youth model for his boy; it's time that little one got some venison to start earning his way <G>.

Regards,
Rabbit.

K

KilgorII

Swamp rabbit, ;)

I don't live there anymore, but friends and family do.

ckurts,

My father just shot a 7 point off of a friend's lease down near yours Saturday. He was only allowed to take small ones since he was a guest and not a member. He said he picked through about 50 before he shot. There are a lot of deer down that way. I'll try to find out from him exactly how close it is to your hunting lease.