Any body ever had a gun marked when having a scope mounted

guncrank

A gun shop/gunsmith/manufacture(07)

Put a markers mark on your personal firearm you bring to have installed.
Say with in the last five years

guncrank

Firearms manufactories are required to mark their name , city and state
By stamping or engraving

On a FFL forum a poster said that mounting a scope was a manufacturing
process.

Kreyzhorse

On a FFL forum a poster said that mounting a scope was a manufacturing
process.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand how mounting a scope on typical firearm could be considered a manufacturing process.

Additionally, mounting a scope is a very simple process. There is no reason to have a shop install it for you. Even if they do and bore sight it, you will still need to zero it yourself.

FrankenMauser

I haven't seen anything of the sort, even for more involved "manufacturing", like porting, threading, adding muzzle brakes, or rechambering/rebarreling.

geetarman

I mount most of my scopes myself, but I have had a couple of scopes mounted by the place where I bought them.

Those were mounted free because I bought the scope there.

guncrank

I'm sorry, but I don't understand how mounting a scope on typical firearm could be considered a manufacturing process.

Additionally, mounting a scope is a very simple process. There is no reason to have a shop install it for you. Even if they do and bore sight it, you will still need to zero it yourself.

In contrast, a dealer-gunsmith may make or acquire his/her
own firearms, and repair, modify, embellish, refurbish, or install parts in or
on those firearms. If the dealer-gunsmith then sells or distributes those
firearms for livelihood and profit, the dealer-gunsmith is engaged in his/her own
business of manufacturing firearms. A person engaged in the business of
manufacturing firearms for sale or distribution is required to be licensed as a
manufacturer, identify/mark all firearms manufactured, maintain permanent
records of manufacture, submit annual manufacturing reports, and pay any taxes
imposed on firearm manufacturers. A licensed dealer-gunsmith who becomes
licensed as a manufacturer must also segregate all firearms manufactured for
that business separately from firearms for which gunsmithing services are being
performed.
The above is from the ATF

The act of mounting a scope for a customer is common in my shop
That falls under gunsmithing.

guncrank

I haven't seen anything of the sort, even for more involved "manufacturing", like porting, threading, adding muzzle brakes, or rechambering/rebarreling.

That is my point, but i am asking the question to see if any customer had that done for a simple job , like scope mounting.

As some dealers are pretty adamant that scope mounting requires a 07 instead of a 01

lcpiper

That's cause whoever it is doesn't understand the law and is being over cautious.

Read here:
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/manufacturers.html
Q: May a person engage in gunsmithing under a dealer’s license (type 01), or do gunsmiths need to be licensed as “manufacturers” of firearms?

Generally, a person engaged in gunsmithing requires only a dealer’s license (type 01). There are circumstances in which a gunsmith might require a manufacturing license. Generally, a person should obtain a license as a manufacturer of firearms if the person is: 1. performing operations which create firearms or alter firearms (in the case of alterations, the work is not being performed at the request of customers, rather the person who is altering the firearms is purchasing them, making the changes, and then reselling them), 2. is performing the operations as a regular course of business or trade, and 3. is performing the operations for the purpose of sale or distribution of the firearms.

Edited to avoid my own confusion :cool:

Last edited:
I had a new scope mounted and bore sighted @ a LGS. No charge as the scope was purchased @ the shop. The son of the owner did this. No marking at all. I've always mounted scopes myself and bore sighted them prior to this one. Interesting topic. Never heard of mounting optics as manufacturing.

guncrank said:
That is my point, but i am asking the question to see if any customer had that done for a simple job , like scope mounting.

As some dealers are pretty adamant that scope mounting requires a 07 instead of a 01
Some dealers are either confused, or very much over-cautious.

IIRC, a couple of years ago the BATFE was making a big noise among FFLs and gunsmiths about how "any" alterations to firearms constituted manufacturing and required an 07 license. What they never addressed is how to add a "manufacturer's" identification to a factory-manufactured firearm that already HAS a manufacturer's serial number and identification on it.

I thought that particular bit of silliness had died on the vine but, apparently, it may have persisted in a somewhat reduced application set.

Anyhoo, I recently had a scope mounted. No markings of any kind applied to my gun.

Some gunsmiths who do serious custom work will leave a signature marking on the gun, but mounting a scope certainly doesn't fall into that category.

Nor is it manufacturing.