Any bad builds you want to share?

spitfiremac

Just working on my first customized handgun build and I keep guessing wrong on the cerakote colors. Despite being P320 grip modules, it's getting expensive.
So, that made me want to ask:

What builds of yours have you started that didn't go quite as you wanted? Where did it all go wrong? Did you fix it, move on, or start over? Please share pictures with us if you have 'em...

...and consider this a lot cheaper than therapy.

Thanks.

Catchabullet

Define bad.... I've had to redo things or have gunsmiths redo things on firearms that other gunsmiths did a few times... [emoji2375].

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

spitfiremac

Just something you weren't happy with... maybe something that you felt took longer in time, or spent much more money on that you thought it should have taken... not that you have to say that or how much, just that's how you know.

Also, this is meant to just be fun, if it's not going to be, then please don't share. Figured most of us have had a build go sideways before and could share and learn.

Also, if it turned out great in the end after some tribulation, post that too.

BornFighting88

I have to agree with Catchabullet. Every single one of my builds absolutely destroys my budget. Every. Single. Time. Case in point, my Mauser 98 build. Action was under budget, stock was, too. Even the barrel. But when I added it all up, after getting Gunsmith involved, and the amount of time I invested (yes I count that), its destroyed budget. Hahah.

As to OP's question. Had a S&W contract PPk years back and while doing some routine cleaning, the fire control group fell apart and out of the pistol. The sear, and all the little discs and bits and pins that were in there had worked themselves loose. That did NOT go like I planned, as you can imagine. Muscled through the repair. But cowboy'd up, and soldiered on like a trooper. Got it all back together and test fired. Success!!

Moral of the story, didn't go like I wanted it to, but finished it nonetheless.

Pahoo

Not meeting my expectations

Define bad
I define bad as not meeting my expectations and on one project it was due to "rushing" and not being patient with myself or the project. I still have one that I have to revisit and undo some aspects of it. ...... :mad:

Be Safe !!!

Hawg

I've never built a pistol or had one built but all of my rifle builds were over budget. Numrich used to sell 1911 kits for 300.00 and I almost bought one until I talked to my gunsmith about it. He changed my mind pretty quick.

44 AMP

Staff
If your build goes over your budget, then that just means your budget wasn't done right in the beginning. :D

HighValleyRanch

Mine wasn't a bad build, just decided to back the other way.
In the early days, before chops were common, I cut my glock 19 grip down to a 26 grip length.
Loved it like that for a while, but then after getting more sub compacts, I yearned for my old glock 19 (2nd gen). So I lengthened the grip back out to a glock 19 length using an A&G sleeve and epoxy and plastic welder. It came out so good that no one would ever know.
I posted threads on the rebuild years back.

bobn

yea i got a 200 dollar ria gi slide sitting in my junk drawer. i though i would be able to replace the slide of my ria 45 pistol with the fix sights version and go shoot either doughboy or wild bunch shoots.
...guess what? sucker doesn't fit on the frame....bob

Crankylove

I built (assembled) an Rohm RG30 that I bought for $1 as a box of parts.

Not sure if that counts or not. I mean, it IS a Rohm (kinda bad), but it does function.

RickB

I was never happy with the DA trigger, but didn't really know exactly what do to improve it.
The only work I farmed out was staking the front sight.
The finish is Brownells' spray 'n' bake, over stainless.

Attachments

• Seecamp.jpg
    Seecamp.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 36

TRX

I built a spare 1911 top end in .40 caliber. It would feed fine when slingshotting the slide, but would seldom fire three shots in a row without some kind of malf. I spent much time with magazines, brands of ammo, throating, mainsprings, and recoil springs, and never managed to get the thing to work right.

Glocks originally had a lot of barrel throat on their .40s, and reduced the amount of throat twice due to case head failures. My 1911 barrel had almost no throat, so after running out of parts-changing ideas I began adding throat to the barrel, even though it fed fine by hand. I immediately started seeing base bulges on ejected brass, and I was still within the latest "considered safe" support (by Glock standards) when I had a case failure that blew the grips into splinters and locked the gun up. After picking the splinters out of my hand, it took a couple of evenings of BFH, brass punch, and prybar to get the gun disassembled; fragments of brass jammed in the works didn't want to let anything move without "gentle persuasion."

At this point I realized I had almost enough money in the project to just buy a working gun in .40 caliber. Further realization was that I could just shoot the pile of .40 S&W I'd collected through a friend's gun, which is what I eventually did. The pile of .40 parts is in one of my "was probably a bad idea" boxes.

Someday I may address the project again; the annoying thing was that after months of working with it, I never found any reason for what it was doing. It might stovepipe, it might just stick the empty case back into the chamber, it might fail to pick up a cartridge when going into battery... then it might fire an entire magazine with no problem. It's hard to diagnose an intermittent problem, particularly when it doesn't manifest the same way every time. (assuming there was only one problem...)