Any assistance greatfully accepted

CabinJohn

I feel that I must write a response to our local newspaper to an article they published last week. The article/story is credited to "Jenny Price, special to the Washington Post" and mentions that she is "a writer in Los Angeles".

The article is just so full of crap that I just cannot let it go unanswered.
Gun control lobby is still thinking small

Five years ago an elderly Los Angeles woman who had agreed to move out of her daughter's apartment bought a handgun. She cleared the background check, passed the safety test and practiced on targets at the local shooting range. Then she shot and killed her daughter and her daughter's fiancé my brother David.

As someone who has lost a member of my family to gun violence, I see the new federal legislation to limit gun manufacturers' liability as unconscionable beyond my ken. But what troubles me most is that the gun control lobby is pouring its resources into battles that probably won't save many lives and we're losing even those.

In the past decade, states have passed law after law to require safety locks, force gun purchase waiting periods, trace bullets back to their sources and allow victims to sue manufacturers for negligence. That such measures have produced at best slight decreases in the rate of gun deaths is hardly surprising, because only 3 percent of gun deaths are accidents, and most murderers own their handguns legally and know how to use them safely.

California has passed a raft of such laws in the past five years and is widely praised as one of the most progressive states on gun control. In that same period, the number of handgun related homicides has fallen and then risen again, with no correlation whatever.

The real problem is not that handguns aren't safe or well regulated enough, or that you can't sue and try to bankrupt a corrupt manufacturer after someone you love has been killed. The problem is that 60 million people in the United States own handguns. The gun used to kill my brother was a Glock 19, a light and portable semiautomatic. These guns are designed to kill people: That's their sole purpose. Nearly 12,000 Americans annually use guns to do just that, and the majority use handguns. Twelve thousand: that's comparable to the number of AIDS deaths each year in the United States. (Great Britain has about 100 gun deaths each year.)

And if the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, which leads the gun control crusade, continues to assure us that it won't try to outlaw handguns? Then new laws to restrict who can buy guns and where they can carry them might reduce the annual toll to 10,000. But that's optimistic.

Wouldn't it make more sense to define the ultimate battle as one for a national ban on handguns the sole gun control measure that promises to save tens of thousands of lives? With an end game that can actually achieve the ultimate goal, perhaps we'd acquire the logical and moral authority to win more of the smaller battles.

I can hear the gun lobby scoffing, "Guns don't kill people. People do." This ditty is familiar to all of us. Yes, and bombs and chemical weapons don't kill people either, but they're not sold over the counter to just about anyone without a criminal record who can prove that he or she can use them safely.

Of the 12,000 guns used to kill people every year, 160 are used in legitimate self defense. Guns in the home are used seven times more often for murder than for self defense.

I cannot say whether the woman who shot my brother was vicious or insane: I myself no longer understand the exact difference. But we all know that rage, vengefulness and deep alienation are hardly unusual in our society, and a handgun makes it horrifyingly easy for people to express them, on purpose or on impulse, by killing people.

If the National Rifle Association wants to pour its own considerable resources into 'creating a society ruled by absolute peace and brotherhood, I'm all for it. But let's stop arming the populace in the meantime, which pro and anti gun advocates alike know for certain will create a' mountainous death toll.

Remember, we don't want to throw the same BS on paper that she did. Please site sources for any factual information.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

FirstFreedom

Let's see - she wants to shift the debate back to "let's ban them all". I say don't respond - you never correct your enemy when they're making a mistake. There's a reason the gun control groups rapidly disguised their true goal from 'ban them all" way back when (in the 70s & 80s) - it's because they nearly spiraled down the toilet with that horridly unpopular stance. Now, unbenownst to this writer, they have the same true goal as her; they just disguise it now under incrementalism and play with words/rhetoric ('gun saftey measures', 'sniper rifles', 'assault weapons'). I say more power to her - she'll only help by asserting the ban 'em all position. At some point, the antis will tell her to shut up and quit hurting them, and let her in on the 'true mission'. :)

I mean, the NRA raked in more money than ever the year after DiFi went on 60 minutes and said that if she could have gotten the votes in the US senate to ban all guns and confiscate them, she would have done it. The NRA milks that for all it's worth to this day.

But if you really want to respond, it's simple - she says that gun bans will lead to reduced death from violent crime. The 2 cities in the nation with the strictest gun control laws and outright bans on handguns - are perennially both in the top 5 among the cities with the highest murder rates in the nation - Washington, D.C. and Chicago. How does she explain that?

Cowled_Wolfe

The 2 cities in the nation with the strictest gun control laws and outright bans on handguns - are perennially both in the top 5 among the cities with the highest murder rates in the nation - Washington, D.C. and Chicago. How does she explain that?

She does what any good anti does... Next subject! :rolleyes:

Wolfe.

Rob P.

Try these facts:

Gun related crime has fallen, not increased, since 1993
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/firearmnonfatalno.htm

Did you realize that murder rates in California went UP after the State began mandatory background checks and waiting periods in the early/mid 1970's. Do you realize that murder rates reached an all time HIGH during the 1980's and 90's when handgun restriction measures were being the most imposing. Did you realize that violent crime statictics have recently come down from these all-time highs due to the greater availability of handguns in private hands and the easing of handgun restrictions?

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/cacrime.htm

Did you know that in the murder rate in Washington D.C went from 26.8 per 100,000 to a high of 80.6 per 100,000 in 1991 after they passed their laws banning handguns in 1976?

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/dccrime.htm

It's clearly obvious that statistics can be used to prove just about anything. However, the evidence indicates that banning handguns does not solve crime or lower crime rates.

CabinJohn

Thank you

Thank you all for your contributions and guidance.
Rob P. - you had exactly what I was looking for.
Harry Callahan - I am familiar with the summaries and analysis of John Lott's work, but unfortunately I do not have the entire study so I cannot quote him.

Thanks again all.

Guy B. Meredith

Automobiles are sold to everyone without background checks. Check actual stats, but I believe that an average of about 50,000 people a year are killed by autos. As with firearms, it is the user that is the problem.