Any 45 Colt shooters using these powders?

.45C-SWC

Pistol powder is hard to find around here. I recently bought some IMR 4756 and Trail Boss powders to use with 250 grain LSWC bullets. Anybody have experience shooting loads using these powders? What is your favorite powder for 45 Colt with these bullets? Thanks!

papershotshells

While I don't use either of the powders you mention for my 45 Colt loads, I have heard good things about Trail Boss. It takes up quite a bit of case capacity and is therefore desireable for light loads without fear of powder position causing inconsistentcy or ignition issues.

Having said that, my main powder for normal velocity 45 Colt loads is Promo (which I also use a lot of in shotshell loading). It is fairly cheap ($90 for 8lbs around here) and you can use it weight for weight in any recipe that calls for Red Dot (same burning rate as RD, just a different density). I guess the only downside I have found with Promo is that it is a tad dirty burning, but that really doesn't bother me. It's nothing a normal cleaning doesn't take care of.

My other 45 Colt powder is Win 296, which I use for very heavy loads in a Ruger Blackhawk.

Papershotshells

David Bachelder

Warning the following load may exceed published data.

I use the following in a Ruger BlackHawk, Single Action Army
255 Cast RNFP
LP Primer
H-110 @ 23 Grains
COAL 1.60

1350fps, and kicks like a mule.

Much Milder Load:
Same set up as above.
HP-38 5.8 to 7.1 grains.
Top end 916 fps

Mike / Tx

Plenty of Trial Boss shooters out there.

Myself I am using HS-6, Unique, AA-5,7,& 9, and Universal.

Most of my loads are below or just at the Ruger only level but I don't push it much over 1100fps. Even though it is a Redhawk, if I want more power I step up to the 454@1550 - 1800+fps with the same bullets.

If it takes more power than that, I run from it. :D

SL1

Addressing the powders you actually asked about:

TrailBoss was designed for large, low pressure cartridges like the .45 Colt.

As for SR-4756, it is similar in burning rate to Unique and works quite well in cartridges like the .45 Colt, although it does not fill the case as well as TrailBoss with loads limited to SAAMI peak pressures. It is usually a clean burning powder at higher pressures, but will probably be dirtier than TrailBoss at SAAMI pressures for the Colt. If you are shooting lead, it will probably not be much different in net effect than TrailBoss because most of the dirt will come from the lube on the bullets.

Neither powder is suitable for the high pressure, high velocity .45 Colt loads known as "Ruger Only" loads, but you can safely get more velocity with SR-4756 than with TrailBoss within SAAMI pressure limits.

SL1

SL1

.45C-SWC

Thanks for your comments and recommendations. I'll soon be reloading for a S&W Model 25 with an 8 3/8" barrel. I'm more interested in accuracy than in high velocity.

In the future, I hope to add Cimarron's SAA and an 1873 Winchester in 45 Colt. Love those cowboy guns!

JKilbreth

Used to use trail boss in my cowboy loads for .45 colt. Stopped using it because it's super dirty. Started using Green Dot, which is almost as dirty, but much cheaper and lasts FAR longer.

But trail boss is easier to get more exact pressures and measurements from, and if you have a long barrel that your bullets will have to travel, you can take advantage of the fact that Trail Boss is a far slower burning powder than Green Dot (which is made for shotshell reloading).