any 327 mag revolvers

Does anyone out there own a 327 Federal Magnum 6 shot Revolver? Like or hate.

My wife & I both have one with CT laser grips in green laser plus I bought the new front sight in green because Ruger's LCR snub has terrible sights. Ruger really created a light weight SD revolver with 6 shots that blows away the other models having 6 not 5 rounds.Their cylinder & barrel are made of steel. This allows one to have more ammopower that beats are 38 P+ammo and comes very close to the 357 mag load but all without the hand brusing 357 mag ammo & much easier to get back on target than the 357. ammo flash is also reduced. Check out the u-tube resultson the 327 mag revolvers. MY point is how the gun gods like chuck Hawes feel about this.

Ruger, IMHO missed the boat on properly marketing the LCR versions which would also get the prices of ammo down for those of us that don't roll their own.
S&W really lost out on this snub. The Ruger trigger is better the the S&W snubs right out of the box. plus the extra round.

At 25 feet, both of us are shooting extremely close groups shot. Most of our range ammo is .32 S&R long & for SD we use Hornady 80 grain SD ammo grain
And that without any up grades that we made. The accuracy is right on.

So my last thought is that most of you out there have not held nor fired this 1.87" snub. If you did use the correct ammo you would understand my comments. From all of the U-tube results on the 327 Fed Mag.you'd understand
their positive comments.

if you want to critique my post, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU ACUALLY HAVE FIRED THE LCR.

Dan-O

I have the lcr and charter arms .327. Would love to add the 3”sp101 and the 6 inch gp, and a lever action at some point.

I know you don’t reload, but for those of us that do, the .327 platform makes at least me giddy.

I carry mine with.32 h&r level loads in .327 cases rolled by yours truly.

TruthTellers

4" SP101. Havne't shot it yet, might try it tomorrow.

I think in the LCR the .327 is the quintessence of that line as it's far better to shoot than .357, more effective than .357, an extra round, and is quite versatile in power levels with .32 S&W L. to .32 H&R Mag.

However, I don't think the .327 is a sensible option in guns like the GP100 and I don't think in long barrel revolvers the accuracy is going to be there like with other calibers. There's not many options for factory bullets like there are .38 and .357, you'll never find any .32 brass at the range to pick up for free, and you'll have to tool up with new dies if you reload or speedstrips or speedloaders if you use it for carry purposes.

IMO the group that can establish the .327 and .32 revolvers as a whole in the market is women and I think every .32 wheelgun fan needs to bring a lady friend who's looking to get into conceal carry to their range and try a .32 revolver. The more Ruger and Charter .32's that get sold, the more other companies like S&W and Taurus will take notice, the more ammo companies will take notice and start offering more defense loads in a variety of .32 calibers. One of which I hope is Speer cuz I want that 115 grain Gold Dot bullet back.

74A95

4" SP101. Havne't shot it yet, might try it tomorrow.

I think in the LCR the .327 is the quintessence of that line as it's far better to shoot than .357, more effective than .357 why do you say that?, an extra round, and is quite versatile in power levels with .32 S&W L. to .32 H&R Mag.

However, I don't think the .327 is a sensible option in guns like the GP100 why do you say that? and I don't think in long barrel revolvers the accuracy is going to be there like with other calibers. why do you say that? There's not many options for factory bullets like there are .38 and .357, you'll never find any .32 brass at the range to pick up for free, and you'll have to tool up with new dies if you reload or speedstrips or speedloaders if you use it for carry purposes.

see above

TruthTellers

see above
".327 is more effective than .357 why do you say that?"
In a snub, .327 has better velocity and bullet expansion than .357. More controllable too and I equate control to better effectiveness.

"However, I don't think the .327 is a sensible option in guns like the GP100 why do you say that?"
The caliber is too small for the frame size. I have the same issue with .357 Redhawks. To me it makes no sense moving up in frame size for more rounds and in the GP's case with .327, now that 7 shot .357 GP's are made, it makes no sense to go with .327 in a GP100.

"I don't think in long barrel revolvers the accuracy is going to be there like with other calibers. why do you say that?"
The issues with Ruger's oversize throats. Forces the use of jacketed bullets, which may be okay, but usually those jacketed loads are at high pressures and generally a high pressure handgun load isn't as accurate as a lower pressure one. Lower power lead loads will have leading issues given the bullet diameters are smaller than the throats, thus gas will blow by, heat and soften the lead, which gets deposited in the bore.

jetinteriorguy

As soon as Ruger wises up and makes the LCRX in the 3" version in .327 mag I'll get on board. I am tempted on the .357 in this version, but I just can't get past the 5 round limit. I want 6 rounds.

LOLBELL

I have to humbly disagree on the accuracy and the leading issues of the 327. The 327’s that I own are the most accurate of all the others. A first run GP is the most accurate hand gun I have ever shot. The GP is the wife’s EDC, it serves the purpose very well. The throats I have measured are .313 which is near perfect for shooting lead sized to 312-313. Most jacketed bullets are 312 which also works well in 313 throats.

I use a home cast 100 grain bullet and a 100 and 85 grain XTP. Any of the three give excellent accuracy with the load developed for them

TruthTellers

If one is promoting the 327 Federal, he should be shooting the actual cartridge, not 32SWL.
Bull. The .327 is like .357, you can shoot the shorter cartridges and given how pricey and difficult to find .327 can be (we had a drought of Federal .327 ammo last summer where nothing was available to buy online) .32 S&W Long is a logical alternative. I'm not seeing evidence .327 can shoot it well.

dgludwig

If one is promoting the 327 Federal, he should be shooting the actual cartridge, not 32SWL.

I'm not understanding this rationale at all. Why is shooting less powerful .32 ammunition from a revolver chambered in .327 Magnum any different than shooting .38 Specials from a revolver chambered in .357 Magnum or shooting .44 Special ammunition from one chambered in .44 Magnum? Recoil, accuracy, price and ammunition availability are just some reasons why shooting "lesser" ammunition from a gun chambered in a "greater" ammunition are valid considerations for lots of shooters.

Real Gun

Consider the context of the OP. If one is promoting the 327 Federal and ammo issues, then noting that the gun is only being used to shoot 32 SWL, something is amiss, certainly a real representation of the cartridge stamped on the barrel and shooting it. There is mention of SD ammo but not a report of shooting it. It could apply to other calibers, where a magnum is talked up, only to admit that the gun is not used for magnums, much if any. It is hard to even find an actual 38 Special chambering in gun lines anymore. Try to find a desirable 32 H&R or an actual 32SWL. It is a one-size-fits all world these days, with people talking so much about versatility but actually shooting the baseline cartridge 90+%.

dgludwig

It is a one-size-fits all world these days, with people talking so much about versatility but actually shooting the baseline cartridge 90+%.

So what? Shoot what you want, when you want and if you want. There's no downside to versatility when it comes to having choices and giving up nothing in the process.

CharlieSW

I am in agreement with the poster above about the .327 LCRX in 3 inch -- I would (will) buy one immediately.

I currently have both the LCR and GP-100 in .327. and I think the 3 inch would be an outstanding carry or trail pistol.

Onward Allusion

Got a pair of Taurus 327 6-shot snubs in matte stainless. They are as accurate as any of my S&W or Taurus snubs. I don't carry 'em 'cause I have better options. I'm still waiting for either S&W or Taurus to make a large frame 9 or 10 shot revolver in 327 Fed Mag. THAT would be one heck of an all purpose revolver w/4" barrel.

FrankenMauser

LCR 2-5/8"(?), SP101 4.2", GP100 4.2", and Blackhawk 5.5" owner here. Yes, all .327 Federal.

The Blackhawk (8-shot) is fun.
The GP (7-shot) is more fun than the Blackhawk, simply due to the weight of that BH.
The LCR (6-shot) is great. It's my daily carry - albeit with .32 H&R, not .327 Federal. (Less hearing damage.)
The SP (6-shot) is my favorite. Even with the terrible trigger geometry that means it can really never be 'great' due to the need for a heavy hammer spring to set off rifle primers, the rest of it is just too good. It is my go-to 'small' caliber revolver.

But...

I NEVER intend to fire .327 Federal without hearing protection - as evidenced by the fact that I choose to carry .32 H&R for SD use in .327 Federal chambers.
It's too brutal. The muzzle pressure is too great, and the potential hearing damage (especially in an enclosed space) too predictable.

I love the cartridge ... but, just like .357 Mag, I will never fire it voluntarily* without hearing protection.
*(I consider self-defense to be an involuntary use. But, again, my dedicated SD revolver is loaded with something less damaging to my hearing. So I've even taken steps there, for mitigation.)

All of that being said...
The GP is for sale, and the BH is sold pending funds.
If I'm not willing to shoot the things unprotected, that rules out hunting with them. And that's my primary motivator for my firearms 'collection'. I'm a hunter before anything else! If hunting is ruled out, then why keep a whole bushel?...

P Flados

I bought a 4.2" SP-101 in 327 for myself after I bought a 38 LCRx for my wife.

I love the SP-101, but I (along with many others) feel that Ruger is limiting the options for the LCRx (no 327) specifically to avoid undercutting sales of the SP-101.

It is something of a shame, the LCRx is a really nice platform at a really good price.

dgludwig

I NEVER intend to fire .327 Federal without hearing protection - as evidenced by the fact that I choose to carry .32 H&R for SD use in .327 Federal chambers.

What if you load the first three or four chambers with .32 H&R, and the rest with .327 Fed? If the first three or four rounds don't get the job done, the hell with your hearing; your life might be at stake. Just a thought.

Real Gun

Why does it need to be more effective than the 38 Specials that everyone thinks are so great for carry? You have 6 rounds maybe 7, instead of the 5 you get in the typical 38 pocket gun.

Let's face it, no one likes the thought of shooting any magnum without hearing protection, but I can say from experience that, although not a true magnum, the 32 H&R can be fired without much of a stunning affect, and I did it inside my shop. For 327 I reload 327 cases but subsonic according to a Brian Pearce article in Reloading magazine. The velocity exceeds 32 H&R loads and should be sufficient to achieve bullet expansion performance.

littlebikerider

I recently purchased a 4" SP-101. I can make some limited observations so far:

I have tried three different brands of 32 S&W Long, and one brand of 32 S&W (short). While these were very low recoil, I found them all to be dirty and generally not very accurate.

I have also tried the 100gr American Eagle ammo, and I really like it. It was very accurate in my gun, and it had some energy to deliver but not so much that it made it uncomfortable to shoot. I don't think the recoil was any more of an issue than with a stout 9mm.

I am a new reloader, and I picked up some 71gr Berrys plated round nose bullets when I saw them in the store. (Of course, then I learned this bullet is much more common in 32ACP. ) I found one published recipe for this bullet and was able to get acceptable accuracy over 4.5gr Unique in .327FM brass, but I wouldn't recommend trying it. My next bullet order will include a few different varieties in .312 from 85-100gr, including some HBWC.

I'm also not really fond of the small grip. I have a Hogue on my .357 SP-101 which is very nice, and I have ordered a Pachmayr for this pistol.

In general, I really like the caliber as a competent shooter below 38 special, The Henry Golden Boy in .327FM is on my guns to get "short list". Once i work up some accurate handloads I will have my wife spend a little more time shooting it. If she likes it as much as I think she will, we may get her an SP-101 or LCR with a shorter barrel for SD.