Any 30-30 bolt action rifles still being made?

Yanus

Does anyone know of any 30-30 bolt action rifles currently being made? I am interested in locating one to use as a scout rifle. I like the 30-30 case, but want to use spitzer bullets instead of the usual flat points used in lever action guns. If I am unable to locate a bolt gun, I may get a Winchester Black Shadow synthetic or a Trapper to use as a scout or truck gun. Thanks as always for any replies.

Paul B.

Yanus. I don't think so. :( You might look for a Savage 340 (I think that's the number. You might find one under the Stevens name as well.) ugly as sin, a Rmington 788, ugly as sin and scarce to boot, or a Winchester model 54, beautiful, expensive as hell ( a real collectors piece, mine ran me $600, and the last one I saw at a show was $1,400, like new in the box.) and even more scarce than the 788.
Paul B.

BigG

A guy in the next neighborhood over has a 30-30 in a 788 Rem. Claims it's accurate as h@!!. The first time I heard of it. I was surprised.

Gewehr98

They are indeed surprising!

My wife has a Savage 340 in .30-30. It was a yard-sale rustbucket, so I restored and tweaked it, with a glass bedding job, 3-9x scope, polished lockwork, matte bluing, and a nice linseed oil finish. She had a hand in choosing her reloads, she went with the Speer 110gr Spire Points, on top of a load of H335. From the bench, she has no problem exploding gallon plastic milk jugs full of Jell-O at 300 yards. :D

If you load too long a spitzer bullet, with their longer ogive, the completed rounds may not fit in the 340's detachable box magazine, making it a single-shot. ;)

Now, if I could just find a nice used 788 in .30-30...

Yanus

Thanks, guys.
I didn't even know that a Rem 788 had ever been chambered in 30-30. They were good little rifles.

BigG

I think they quit making them because they were at least as accurate as the 700 Models and about half the price. Too much competition for themselves. !!:p

Shooter 973

30-30 bolt rifles

I have two of the Rem 788's in 30-30 and they both have scopes on them. They are near perfect cast bullet rifles! You can load cast bullets right up to factory ballistics and not have a speck of leading and really cheap shooting. Sorry but I'll never let them go! Spare clips are a little hard to find but 3 is enough.
I bought both of them used and have not seen anymore since. :D