Any 30-06 load data for Hornady 165gr SST?

Dogjaw

I may have bought the cart before the horse. ;) I picked up some Hornady 165 grain SST's and got a little suprise. I have yet to find any actual load data on this bullet. I'm going to start by using 53 grains of W760, Win brass, CCI 250 primer, no crimp (based on success with Interlock bullets).

Anyone have any data on the SST line?

Ammo Junky

I have never used w760, but 57.5gr H4350 or 49.0gr varget with win case and primer has worked well for me. I am running mine with .020" jump in a mod 70, but have not found a big difference in this gun so long as its a normal junp .005 to.025. I have some rifles that .005" makes a difference and some that .100 doesnt matter. Every rifle is like a new kid, you dont know what their gona like to eat untill you try it. :D
Good luck
AJ

VaFisher

I have been using the 150gr in a 300WM with 4064 powder with great results. I used the old Vol ll Hornady book with the loads that match close. I have had no problems with these loads and have not seen any signs of overload. I have used the 165gr ( not in SST ) in 30 caliper for years and decided to try the 150gr to see how well it pattern's, to my surprize it pattern's very good to exellent with the 4064 powder.

Dogjaw

I tried it with 54.0 gr W760, CCI 250 primer, Win case. Shot a 1" group at 100 yd with a Rem 7400. I'm in production mode now.

snuffy

Same weight--same loads

Not a dumb question, but as long as a bullet is the right diameter,(cal), and the same shape,(pointed boat tail), and the same weight,(165), you can use data from most manuals for the SST. Even better to use Hornady's data. A flat base round nose bullet will have a much longer bearing area than a pointed boat tail. So the pressure required to push it down the barrel will climb higher, quicker that with the boat tailed bullet.

Where you might get into trouble is with the bonded bullets, they tend to be a little harder. BUT if you start out at the recommended starting load for the weight you're using, you WILL be alright.

This advice does NOT pertain to the barnes monolithic solid copper bullets. They're a critter of another name entirely.