Anti-Hunting Activists Need to Get a Life

BenW

First you have the nutzo activist calling hunters "not decent people", then you have the councilman, who starts to talk logically, end stating that saying "animals taste good" is in bad taste. Sheesh.

From Tongue Tied on the FOX News site:
-------------
Anti-hunting activists in Maine say pro-hunting signs outside of town insisting that "Animals Taste Good" are offensive and should be removed, reports the Press Herald.

Two signs, in a traffic circle in Kittery, Maine, bear the slogans "Animals Taste Good" and "Target Practice." They urge voters to reject a proposal that would restrict people from carrying weapons in a local state forest. Nancy Bogenberger, one of the petitioners seeking the ban on hunting, denies asking town councilors to remove the signs but insists they are offensive.

"It's kind of silly," Bogenberger said of the signs. "But I don't think hunters are the kind of people that you can call responsible anyway. They're not decent people if they kill for fun."

But town Councilor Mark Sousa says they should stay. He said he is tired of animal rights activists complaining about them -- especially when activists have their own signs up urging voters to pass the ordinance.

"Personally, I don't think the sign that says 'Animals Taste Good' is in good taste," he said. "But if [hunters] have to take our signs down, they have to take theirs down, too."

ds1973

Related topic

This article was on Fox News a few days ago. Figures it's in Kalifornia. My comments in Laissez-faire blue. :)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,60532,00.html

Thursday, August 15, 2002
By Adam Housley

LOS ANGELES — For many Americans, "fishing" conjures up images of a quiet lake or gentle stream with man and nature at peace.

But not everybody sees it that way.

"We're trying to get fishing banned in all state parks," PETA’s Bruce Friedrich said.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals says fishing is a violent and cruel sport that victimizes the innocent inhabitants of the nation's waterways. They've initiated a campaign demanding states ban the time-honored sport.

"They have the capacity to feel pain. They have a capacity to suffer," Friedrich said. "For reasons that really defy logic, we allow people to spend their afternoon impaling them on hooks."

Fish have no rights. Only man has rights stemming from his capacity for rational thought.

Fisherman have cast their own barbs.

"They eat each other and they die," fisherman Anthony Young said. "Is that cruelty?"

Fishing is not permitted in state parks in about half of the states, but none of the rest have taken PETA's bait. At least nine, including California and Washington, have said "no."

It’s a sentiment echoed by anglers.

"Our God-given right as Americans is to fish the rivers and streams," Kevin Hanson said. "It's where memories are built."

There is no "right" to fish on property if the owner does not allow it. Ones desires do not grant one a right to something. A right is a freedom to action, something is not a "right" if it comes at the expense of others. Government land is controlled by whatever gang happens to be in power, and guess what? they make the rules.

Other conservation groups like Trout Unlimited say PETA’s plan is too extreme. Trout Unlimited’s William Strickland said falling for PETA’s reasoning is like falling for the story of the big fish that got away.

"To base a campaign on whether or not a fish feels pain is, quite frankly, a stretch," he said.

To base a defense on "fishing builds memories" is irrational to say the least.

PETA said that hunting has been banned, and even removing trees and rocks is illegal, so fishing is a natural next step. And not just because it's cruel to fish.

"The filament lines are everywhere, the sinkers are everywhere, the beer cans are everywhere -- not exactly responsible stewardship," Friedrich said.

A private game land would have the staff to keep up the grounds. They would have financial incentive to keep the property clean for people to enjoy themselves.

Fishermen respond that a few bad apples are no reason to spoil everyone's fun, and they have a message for PETA:

"Everyone wants to get in everyone else's business but their own," Young said. "Leave me alone. Let me enjoy my fishing."

They had no problem robbing Peter to create state run lands so that Paul could play on them. Why didn't they leave Peter alone in the first place?

Government has turned hunters and environmentalists into two rival gangs, fighting over scraps from the mafia's table.

ctdonath

The vegan's impact on the environment:
farm_s.jpg

The hunter's impact on the environment:
forest_s.jpg

Any questions?