Another wrong caliber

Hammer1

Years ago at a gun show saw a new S&W stainless Kit Gun with a 3-inch barrel. Had not seen many stainless Kit Guns at that time nor had seen any 3-inch barrel ones. Looked at it half a dozen times over the two day gun show.

Finally decided I needed it and bought it NIB. Later showing it to a few friends at the gun show, one asked me about the ballistics of the 22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire from that short a barrel. What did he mean ? The revolver was a 22 Long Rifle. No, it wasn't. Looked at it again and in fact it was a 22 WMR, not a 22 LR.

Took it back to the out-of-town dealer I had bought it from and he seemed as surprised as I was. He had recorded it as a 22 Long Rifle on all his forms and records. Told me that I had robbed him of a more expensive, rare pistol than he had thought he was selling and the price should be much higher. However, he was already packed up and ready to head home. Insisted that all sales were final.

Was really irritated. Did not want an expensive to shoot 22 Mag Kit Gun. Had wanted the 22 Long Rifle.

However, years later, it is one of my favorite pistols. I have 22 Long Rifle handguns including Kit Guns and Bearcats. So have cheap to shoot plinkers. But a 22 Magnum Kit Gun is a handy little gun with a little more oompah for jackrabbits and other slightly larger varmints.

Wish I could find one of those rare 22 Mag Bearcats that allegedly exist.

Tom2

Maybe should talk to the gunshow promoter next time something like this happens to a buyer. Frauds should be kicked out of gunshows. As far as I am concerned, "gun crime" extends to those that try to rip off buyers at these shows. You were presumably fooled into thinking you had something you did not by the seller and as far as I am concerned that trumps any "all sales final" policy. Tell the promoter that you will go to the venue owners if he does not do something about it. Whether the seller is stupid or crooked it does not matter to me. Guess you made out in the end, but if he was so adament that the gun was rare and valuable, why did he then refuse to work out the deal and resell it for more? Bet if a dealer thought you ripped him off, they would call over the police and have you evicted in a heartbeat.

Hammer1

Used to, Smith & Wesson revolvers were given names in place of or in addition to model numbers.

A Kit Gun is a J-frame S&W 22 rimfire with adjustable sights usually seen in 2" or 4" barrels.

pistolet1

joe poteat

A kit gun is kind of like an outdoors, take anywhere, kind of gun; not necessarily a big bore SD piece, but typically a small .22LR revolver or semi-auto. It might have adjustable sights, could be small and lightweight, or built out of stainless steel, to better withstand inclement weather. None of these are prerequisites; just typical of some kit guns you might find. These are guns that a lot of people would carry if they were going hiking, fishing, backpacking, cycling, etc. They could be used for personal protection, or just for some informal target practice or plinking.