Another What's This Worth...?

Ron Ankeny

My dealer has a used Colt Govt. Series 70 for sale with several modifications. The guy consigning the pistol insists the work was done by Armand Swenson personally, but I doubt it.

Anyhow, the pistol has a 6 inch barrel and a stock slide. The barrel has no stampings on it at all. The bushing has been replaced and likewise there are no markings on it. The slide has been milled out for a rear sight and an adjustable sight installed. I can't recall the name of the sight, but it was unheard of. The front of the grip has beautiful 20 lpi diamond checkering and the mainspring housing is checkered too. The grip safety and hammer are original.

The slide to frame fit is superb and the barrel fits the bushing very well. The modifications appear to have been done on a new Colt Govt. and the pistol appears unfired since the work. The craftsmanship is really very good.

The guy is asking $695.00 but I told him no way for a pistol of unknown origin. He told me to make him and offer. OK, so what should I offer him for it?

killer45auto

If It is a true Swenson I would jump on it in a heart beat and not look back.He is one of the finest pistolsmiths that has ever worked the 1911.I would try to talk to the owner of the gun and get some more information on the gun though.If it is a swenson 695$ is a steal

killer45auto

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
So what your saying is you have a Series 70--which is good--with an unknown barrel. Some quality work has gone into fit and finish, regardless of who did it.

The rear sight may or may not stand up to recoil.

I live in a perpetual state of "sticker shock", so my notions of value are always behind...Lay out four $100 bills, and be willing to add maybe one more, I guess?

What are clean Series 70s going for, these days? If the gun is put together as you say, it's worth that much, anyway.

Just guessin', Art

bk40

I believe Mr. Swenson was partial to S&W revolver adjustable sights, if that helps any.

FPrice

Ron,

I have been trying to find another Series 70 Colt and they seem to be rare here in New England.

I agree with Art about laying some moeny on the table, but I think $400 may be a bit low to start out with...depending upon how well you know the dealer. I would say $500, but that is up to you. Maybe you can work something out.

The possibility of it being a Swenson demand some attention but proceed slowly. I wonder if there is anyone who can help you authenticate this?

And, if you don't want it, I'd be interested.

Frosty

Ron Ankeny

The seller is a retired Lt. Col. and he has collected and traveled all over the country. He can't prove it is a Swenson but he claims it is. If it is a Swenson, why the "generic" barrel and bushing? Really, the work is superb but how do I know if Swenson did it?

I am going to ask the seller if I can take the pistol for a test drive. If he won't let me shoot it I think I'll pass. Tough call...damn if this is a Sewnson for $695.00....