Another Ultimate Whitetail Thread...

P-990

Just what the title says. I'm looking at Encore barrel options trying to decide which caliber to get!

My typical deer hunting conditions are heavy cover, 50-75 yard visibility. Most deer around here average about 160 pounds dressed, but 180+ is not unheard of. There are a few places where it is very possible to see a 200 yard shot, but that would be about the limit, and those places are rare.

So far I've looked at each of the following:

1) .45-70 20" with peep sights. This basically mimics the current setup of my Encore, which is a .50-caliber muzzleloader. This would give me a realistic range of just over 100 yards. Recoil and cost are up with this option, but compared to the muzzleloader, I'm not sure either is really greatly increased or decreased.

2) 7mm-08 or .308. I view these two as 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Either would be adequate to 300 yards IMO, and either one could be reloaded economically. Availability of ammo definitely goes to the .308, but there is something tempting about the sweetly balanced performance of the 7mm-08.

3) .243 Winchester. My lightest option. Not sure I'd be comfortable taking shots past 200 yards with a rifle this light. Actually, it is difficult to consider because it IS such a light rifle. But the .243 I have fired so far was accurate and pleasant to shoot. Still though, that little 6mm pill versus a big rutting buck has me wondering the outcome.

Any other thoughts I should consider? I'm trying to stay in something available from the factory, not a custom-barrel (otherwise I'd get a(nother) .260 Remington and be done with it! ;) ) with components readily handy for reloading. I'm not super-concerned over factory ammo selection, but a dearth of 7mm-08 ammo locally also has me raising my eyebrows.

FWIW, I'm young and this is likely going to be my last hunting rifle setup for a while. My game will probably be nothing larger than whitetails for a very long time, with most shooting being done at rocks, paper, steel plates, clay pigeons, possible odd woodchucks, potentially coyotes, etc.

Thanks all.

chadm

I would vote for the 7mm-08. I do not own one myself, but feel this is a very well balanced cartridge for whitetail.

doorgunner

You did a good job describing what your hunting situation will be. Based on that, the .308 or 7mm-08 would be my first choice. Short, portable, lightweight rifles are king! Remember, you're going to carry it a hell of a lot more than you are going to shoot it.

I would take a hard look at the Ruger Frontier or the Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08, and slap a decent 2-7X scope on it. Work up a handload, or find a factory load that it likes, and then hunt with great confidence.

Good luck to you!

Fremmer

.308 Winchester. :cool: It is a very accurate round. So is the 7mm-08. But the 7mm can't shoot those hyper-accurate 165/168 grain thirty caliber rounds; try shooting one in a .308, and you'll understand what I mean.

joshua

My choice will be a 30-30 or 7x30 Waters, favoring the later just for a less recoiling carbine in a package like a 16.5" TC Contender. For the Encore I'd probably pick the 7-08.

trooper3385

For what you described, I would go with the 308 as well. It would be more than enough for those situations. And like you said, your young and this will be the gun for awhile. You may in the future end up hunting in a different location where shots could be longer or go hunting for something other than deer and the 308 would work well.

P-990

And there I was, all set to get a 7mm-08 too!!

Thanks guys. I was beginning to second-guess my #1 option while cruising through the sporting goods departments and sporting goods stores locally. .308, .270, .30-06, .30-30, 7mm Rem Mag, .243, all easy to find. Not a box of 7mm-08 to be had. :(

I'm thinking a 24" stainless .308 barrel for my Encore. The scope is still undecided. I liked the 2-7x33 VX-1 I had on my old Remmy Mountain Rifle (traded for this Encore), but have been contemplating a fixed 4x. My eye is really drawn to the Leupold FX-II 4x33mm, but I'm going to need a while before a have that kind of money for glass! :eek: Luckily hunting season is over until next November.

And Fremmer, I've fired lots of those uber-accurate 168gr HPBT .30-caliber match bullets. From a 1903A3 .30-06!! :D You're right, I could get a .30-caliber rifle to really sit up and sing with those things.

MEDDAC19

I think .270 would be a good caliber choice, that would fulfill all your requirements. The same ballistics as 30-06 with a little less recoil.

Why do you limit yourself to 100 yds with the .45-70? This cartridge will reach out to 200-300 yds with no trouble at all. Do you feel a peep sight will keep you under 100 yds?

We used peep sights with the M-16, back in the day, and we were very accurate out to 250 meters. A quality peep sight is very good for accurate shooting well beyond 100 yards.

P-990

MEDDAC,

I'm actually a Highpower competitor, and have fired my AR all the way to 600 yards, so I know the capabilities of a good peep sight. With the .45-70 I'd feel more limited by the trajectory, and the peep sights provided on the Encore barrels are a little coarse. 150-200 yards is probably doable with it, but the front post would cover a lot of target, be it paper or critter.

But now you've reopened another option! :eek:

mikejonestkd

P-990....another Encore fan!!!!! Great!!!!

For availability, the range you mentioned, and the recoil I would choose the .308 over almost all the others mentioned.

It is my personal deer caliber for my encore too.

The 7mm-08 is easier on your shoulder and shoots a bit flatter but ammo is not as easy to find in any sporting goods store as the .308

The .260 is also a great round in concept but it is hard to find, same problem as the 7mm-08 but even worse...

My dad loves his .243 and with the 95 gr accutip from remington he easily drops deer in their tracks at the ranges mentioned above. It also is one heck of a nice varmint rig too.

get the .308 and you'll be very happy!!!

cheygriz

The .243, 6MM Remington, .257 Roberts, .270, .308, .30-06 would all work well.

Limit your shots to 100 yards, and the .45-70 would be king.

Personally, although I use a .30-06 as my primary for everything in the rockies, I think that if you're huntng nothing larger than deer, a .243, or better yet, a 6MM Remington would be nearly ideal.

taylorce1

Why not something in between like a .260 Remington, I don't have any experiece with that cartridge but if it mirrors the 6.5X55 shouldn't have any problems at all. Light recoil and good BC and SD on the 6.5 bullet.

Oh yeah, don't worry about not finding factory ammo, get started reloading your own makes it more fun to hunt.

P-990

Why not something in between like a .260 Remington, I don't have any experiece with that cartridge but if it mirrors the 6.5X55 shouldn't have any problems at all. Light recoil and good BC and SD on the 6.5 bullet.

LOL!!! That's actually the rifle I traded in for the Encore!! LOL!!

The plan was; trade .260 Mountain Rifle for muzzleloader. Use muzzleloader for extended season. Add centerfire barrel to Encore for extended usage. Seemed (and still seems) like a win-win situation to me! ;)

It worked too. I got out and hunted more, and saw more deer. Still working on the shooting one part. Would help if I saw a legal one! :eek:

The .243 is mighty tempting too. My coworkers are already picking on me for considering it. (You should have heard the ribbing I took shooting a "girl's gun" .260 :rolleyes: ) Yet they all know who is going to take their money in a shoot off anyway. Funny how they never want to go shooting together, and never back up their tall-tales with proof.

And I reload. But that is subject to change with moving after college and other factors (even if temporarily). I'm sort of trying to hedge my bets on that and go with something common.

So .243 guys, tell me more!

Edited: And I keep forgetting about the ratty old '06 Mauser my girlfriend's dad gave me. It's rough, but it IS an '06. I really should slap a cheap scope on it to see what kind of accuracy the ol' monster has left.

MacGille

45/70

I carried a Marlin 1895ss in .45/70 in Alaska for my survival gun. I have killed Moose @ 100yd, dall sheep @400 yd, Mountain goat @ 475 yd and caribou @ 50 yd. If you shoot it a lot and get really familiar you can shoot a .45/70 out to 800 yd with confidence.;) Yeah it has a large trajectory, but it is accurate and as precise as anything else. Oh yeah, handload it.:D

taylorce1

.243 Win got my first deer for me, and should function quite well for what you are using it for. I've taken pronghorn and deer at over 100 yards with it and coyotes at much further ranges. I like 95-100 grain for deer and 65 grain and up for varmints.

I think that 06 could be a fun fix this winter if you have the time to work on it. Just have it checked out to see if it is good if you have any doubts. Just don't fix it up too nice or your girlfriend's dad might want it back.:D

Last edited:

Maximus856

Only thing about the smaller cal. is he said it's heavy cover... Wouldn't a heavier/larger bullet be ideal for that?

-Max.

Fremmer

Most deer around here average about 160 pounds dressed, but 180+ is not unheard of.

A 180 pound dressed deer is a good-sized deer. The .243 will work, but you only get a 100 grain round out of it. I'd prefer a heavier round (like a 165 grain .308 ;)) in case you hit bone on a big bruiser, or a good broadside shot isn't available.

I've shot deer with the .243 and the .308. Both calibers usually kill quickly with a well-placed shot. The problem with the .243 occurs when you don't make a good shot. The heavier .308 round gives you, IMHO, a little more margin for error.