Another SWAT Success in the War on Some Drugs

Jeff Thomas

Not worth much comment ... knowing how this discussion will go. Just another example of how SWAT tactics continue to erode the image of the otherwise large number of quality, professional peace officers (remember that antiquated term?).

I do always love it when the management takes heart that everything was done "by procedure", and the lowly citizen gets kicked around and sworn at during the process. And, we know the biggest relief is that no one was killed ... but I can't help but feel management's relief is more focused on the avoided litigation, rather than the actual fact that a citizen survived.

The ACLU is usually elitist and myopic ... but, they're right on this one. Expect these tactics to be used increasingly on peaceful gun owners.

Regards from TX

http://news.mysanantonio.com/story.cfm?xla=saen&xlb=180&xlc=873972

SAPD to probe storming of wrong house

By Jesse Bogan and Elaine Aradillas
Express-News Staff Writers

Web Posted : 11/22/2002 12:00 AM

San Antonio police, who continued to apologize Thursday for storming the wrong Southwest Side duplex, said they'll meet next week to review the foul-up that sent an innocent man to a hospital with minor injuries.

A police raid Wednesday night left a charred wall in the home of Marcos and Salvador Huerta. The raid was on the wrong house.
Kin Man Hui/Express-News

Cousins Salvador Huerta (left) and Marcos Huerta said they were injured when police stormed into their house Wednesday night by mistake. The two were recovering Thursday at home.

Officials said SWAT team members apparently were confused in the darkness Wednesday night by the cluster of look-alike dwellings in the 5900 block of Fairshire Road, even though officers spent two days watching a duplex there in an effort to serve a warrant on a man they suspected of dealing drugs.

"Everything was done by procedure," Deputy Police Chief Rudy Gonzales said of the SWAT unit that won state honors the past two years. "It was just an honest mistake made by SWAT officers at the location."

He said that if any recommendations resulted from his review, they would be forwarded to Chief Albert Ortiz.

The officers who mistakenly crashed through a rear sliding glass door will remain on duty while the incident is reviewed, he said.

Ortiz couldn't be reached for comment.

Mayor Ed Garza said Thursday that he hadn't spoken with Ortiz about the mix-up, but that he had asked for a full report.

"I am not ready to make any comments until I've seen the official report," he said.

It began about 8 p.m. Wednesday when a team of SWAT officers stormed through a glass door at a home on Fairshire Road without warning, said the three cousins who live there.

The cousins said officers shot out the door with soft bullets and threw in a concussion grenade that left a hole and a black scar on the wall.

The men, who work at a Mexican restaurant, said they were watching television when the officers stomped in, flinging punches, kicks and profanities. The cousins said they thought they were being robbed.

Marcos Huerta, 19, was taken to a hospital where doctors stitched a wound above a puffy eye. Salvador Huerta, 20, was left with a chipped front tooth and a bruised face. Both said they fell to the floor without resistance and covered their heads as officers hit them at least 20 times.

The third cousin, Vicente Huerta, 17, fled out the front door and was not harmed. An uncle, Jose Luis Alvarez, 40, said his nephews planned to contact an attorney.

"I think they should have investigated before they came in," he said in Spanish. "With pleasure, people are welcome to the house. Just knock on the door."

Not until after the Huerta cousins were handcuffed and sat down on the sofa did police realize that they had goofed.

Gonzales said the confusion occurred because in the dark alley, the duplexes all looked the same. He said SWAT officers were told to enter from the alley and to look for a red car in the rear driveway.

"The SWAT officer saw the red car and thought that was the residence where the warrant was to be served," Gonzales said.

Later, after the scuffle, Officer Darron Lyn Phillips and other officers went to the correct address two doors down, knocked on the door and arrested the suspect without incident.

When asked why officers hadn't knocked in the first place, Gonzales said police thought the suspect inside the house might have a gun tucked inside his waistband.

He said the element of surprise dissipated after people heard the commotion and began filling the street.

Police arrested Richard Anguiano, 21, of the 200 block of Refugio. He was charged with possession of cocaine with intent to deliver and possession of marijuana. He was being held in Bexar County Jail in lieu of posting $52,000 bond.

Inside the second duplex on Fairshire Road, police said they found 86 grams of marijuana, 40 grams of cocaine, drug paraphernalia, and several rounds of ammunition.

No weapons were found.

Will Harrell, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Texas, said mistakes like this one are not uncommon. He said they are generally the result of an increased militarization by police.

"For the past decade or more, we've seen a shift from the notion of community-oriented police models to a militarized model, where the police operate with a siege mentality," he said.

para.2

If the residents had been armed and forcibly resisted this unlawful intrusion of armed men into their residence,and been murdered, does anyone believe the SWAT members would be up on charges for "defending themseves". After all, they were "only following orders.":mad: :barf:

Futo Inu

Some public executions of police chiefs who allow this kind of thing would go a long way towards curbing such abuses. Of course, eliminating the so-called war on drugs would be a much easier way.

dischord

Frankly, a person could favor the WoD and still be very disturbed by this. There is such a thing as going to far, even if you support the WoD.

Gila Jorge

Well Place Bullets Achieve More Social Reform Than a Pack of New Laws

This is unfortunately true. Our rights are forever being trampled by the jack booted thugs and we sheeple just bleet and bleet. Sometimes bleed too. Damn shame. Fellow Texan. Ther but for the grace of God.....

RickD

"...executing the police chief..."

I would be satisfied with being able to directly sue each and every one of the SWATies instead of them being protected by the municipality.

Ya think that might curb their foolishness?

Rick

C.R.Sam

The way it is now; injured party sues and wins, taxpayor gets the bill.

Maby a reverse on assett forfeiture.....injured parties get the goodies of the chief and participating officers. House, cars, boat and future income.

Whats good for the government should be good for the goosed.

Sam

edamon2k

Just legalize drugs already. Let uncle sam make some money on it, rather then wasting money trying to stop it.

Baron Holbach

Over a span of 30 years, this kind of miscue has become too commonplace. The War on Drugs, regardless of its good
intentions, is like the War on Booze during the Prohibition era. When a government makes what formerly was a
non-illicit product illicit, and enforces draconian forfeiture laws affecting real estate and personal property, the end
result is an increase in political and law enforcement corruption, as well as a burgeoning black market dealing in illicit
drugs and a consequent clash of gangs battling over economic turf. The parallels between the Prohibition era and the
current War on Drugs is uncanny. The prescription (War on Drugs) is worse than the disease (drug addiction). If you
think the above botch by the SWAT team can be easily forgiven, you are dead wrong. The number of innocent people
murdered because a government SWAT, police, sheriff, FBI, or DEA team invaded the wrong house is such a high
number you would wonder when people are going to cry for a review of policy. Try to imagine a SWAT team breaking
into a house, shooting dead the wife's husband, finding no drugs, and then realizing the culprit's house is next door.
Are you going to stand up and cheer for the War on Drugs?

BogBabe

Particularly since the War on (some) Drugs is so critical and urgent and overridingly important that no-knock raids have become common and wrong-house raids such as this one occur at all.

Funny, you never hear about no-knock raids when the police are arresting a murderer, a rapist, a robber, a burglar, a car thief, an Enron executive, a whatever...... They follow standard, traditional police procedure, which does not include no-knock raids.

Only in the WoD is it so terribly important to storm the house without knocking -- and that is what leads to mistakes such as this.

Marko Kloos

Maby a reverse on assett forfeiture.....injured parties get the goodies of the chief and participating officers. House, cars, boat and future income.

Whats good for the government should be good for the goosed.

That would fall under the "Goose and Gander" amendment I favor.

The problem with lawsuits against government agencies is the fact that they have the bottomless tax barrel at their disposal if they lose. No lawsuit against a government entity is going to have any punitive effect, since the money to pay for reparation comes out of the citizen's pocket to start. As long as we don't institute personal financial responsibility for screwups (just like Joe Civilian), and we don't remove the de facto immunity of individual federal LEOs against lawsuits, there won't be a compelling incentive to avoid those screwups.

It's not going to happen, though. Can't have the King's Men held to the same rules as the peasantry.

Gusgus

This one's a pet peeve, and a real concern of mine. A low life apartment complex 2 blocks away has the same address as my home. We get their mail, pizza delivers, UPS packages, etc., all the time.

So here I am, sitting at my PC, cruising the boards, and watching a little TV, with a loaded handgun by my side. The patio door blows out, and black clad ninjas burst into my home. Now, I'm suppose to determine in less then a second, that not only are these invaders police officers, but LEGITIMATE police officers, and not some home invaders wearing police shirts.

But, since I'm one of the good guys, and there would be no conceivable reason for a tactical entry into my home, I'm going to instinctively think "home invasion", and grab my handgun. Of course I'll probably be dead in a matter of seconds.

If we are honest with ourselves, even the LEOs on this board that defend these type of entries, will admit that they would probably try to defend themselves in the above scenario.

Of course, everyone on the boards would be debating about the idiot home owner, that was stupid enough to raise a weapon to a Tactical Team.

The dark secret that few dare to admit is this. Tactical entries save LEO lives. If a few innocent citizens are murdered by mistake in order to protect those LEOS, so be it.

Coronach

1. This is duplicate thread. I'm already involved in the discusson over on the other one, so I'll keep this brief.

2. Bogbabe-
you never hear about no-knock raids when the police are arresting a murderer, a rapist, a robber, a burglar, a car thief, an Enron executive, a whatever...... They follow standard, traditional police procedure, which does not include no-knock raids.
I'm curious where you get your information on that. I'm not a member of an entry team, but from my limited experience in the field (assisting SWAT when they serve warrants by doing outer perimeter duty), this is inverted. No-knocks are exceedingly rare and I don't think I've ever seen one used on a drug house. This might not have been a no-knock...they just might have refused to open the door. Happens.

Mike

BogBabe

I'm curious where you get your information on that. I'm not a member of an entry team, but from my limited experience in the field (assisting SWAT when they serve warrants by doing outer perimeter duty), this is inverted. No-knocks are exceedingly rare and I don't think I've ever seen one used on a drug house.

I don't have any source for statistics on no-knock raids, but virtually every news report I've ever read about no-knock raids has involved drugs. I can't remember ever reading about a no-knock raid that involved anything else.

This might not have been a no-knock...they just might have refused to open the door.

It was reported thusly:

a team of SWAT officers stormed through a glass door at a home on Fairshire Road without warning, said the three cousins who live there.

The cousins said officers shot out the door with soft bullets and threw in a concussion grenade that left a hole and a black scar on the wall.

The men, who work at a Mexican restaurant, said they were watching television when the officers stomped in, flinging punches, kicks and profanities.

If this incident happened as reported, it was a no-knock raid.

para.2

coronach...

"...they just might have refused to open the door. Happens."

Yeah, particularly when the warrant was not for them or their residence. I'd refuse, too, then shoot the first one through the door in those circumstances. Yes I'd most likely be dead shortly thereafter, but... "Happens."
:mad:

Coronach

If this incident happened as reported, it was a no-knock raid.
Well, there is an assumption present there, and in my experience (coming up on 5 years), its not a good assumption. Crucial details are often left out of, or are incorrect in, news reports. I mean, we all laugh at the stupid reporters when they say things like ".308 caliber handgun," "semi-automatic revolver" and "assault weapon" but we assume that a news report is gospel because it is reported thusly. Like I said, not a valid assumption. Wait for the after-action report...which will be reported on page B37 of the local newspaper.

Para2...lemme get this right...you get a knock on your door...its a police officer outside...he has a warrant for what he thinks is your residence (he is mistaken)...and you're not going to open the door and talk to him, thus forcing the matter to a head and helping to precipitate a forced entry? Well...it seems your objection is not to warrants of a no-knock nature, but to the 4th Amendment in general. Interesting.

Mike

PS And before you say "What I object to are mistakes like this"- yes, sir. We all do. Its pretty darned critical not to send a SWAT team sailing into the wrong residence. No one is saying otherwise.

Monkeyleg

The raid was a serious mistake, and somebody in the department should suffer the consequences.

On the other hand, there's times when the police chief and his subordinates really screw up, like this:

Police raid El Rey, say antibiotics sold illegally

Officers arrest five people at two stores; drugs are available over the counter in Mexico

By JESSE GARZA and LEAH THORSEN
jgarza@journalsentinel.com

"We don't make drugs here, we make tortillas."
- Ernesto Villarreal,
owner of Mercado El Rey

Last Updated: Sept. 18, 2002

Squads of armed Milwaukee police officers swarmed through two south side grocery stores and a tortilla factory Wednesday, executing search warrants for prescription antibiotics they suspected were being sold over the counter at the stores.

But owners of one of the businesses said the brand-name remedies are commonly sold at many Latino-owned stores and said officers trained weapons on customers and employees and used other "heavy-handed" tactics.

"How dangerous can (the remedies) be that you would have to put a gun to the back of an employee's head?" asked Olivia Villarreal, who, along with her husband, Ernesto Villarreal, operate Mercado El Rey, 1023 S. Cesar Chavez Drive.

Police raided the store and its warehouse and tortilla factory at 1530 S. Muskego Ave. They also raided El Campesino Grocery, a separate business at 635 W. Greenfield Ave.

Five people were arrested on suspicion of unlawfully delivering prescription drugs, a felony charge, Police Chief Arthur Jones said at a news conference Wednesday afternoon.

Since May, undercover officers made 10 buys at the stores of prescription drugs, including ampicillin; all are used to fight infections. The drugs are widely used antibiotics that are sold commonly without prescription in Mexico.

The drugs were sold from behind the counter, meaning they weren't sitting on a store shelf.

Police received information from the state Department of Regulation and Licensing that illegal sales were taking place, Jones said.

Neither store is licensed to dispense prescription medicine, he said.

Those arrested at El Rey are a 23-year-old clerk and the 34-year-old store manager. At El Campesino, the 40-year-old owner, his 35-year-old sister and a 28-year-old clerk were taken into police custody.

Uniformed officers are involved in all search warrants as part of department policy, Jones said. He said the warrants executed Wednesday followed that policy, although he wouldn't give details.

That same policy is followed whether executing search warrants in a crack house or a grocery store, Jones said.

"The process by which we execute search warrants is legal," Jones said, adding that Spanish-speaking officers took part in the raid.

But Ernesto Villarreal said police would have employed much different tactics had the object of their investigation been a white-owned business outside of the Latino community.

Police "went up and down the aisles and said, 'Drop everything in your hands, and put your arms up,' " he said, adding that weapons were also trained on customers in the store's restaurant.

"The customers were here 20, 30 minutes with their hands cuffed until (police) could decipher who was an employee and who was not," Olivia Villarreal claimed. "The rest of the employees had their hands up for 40 minutes."

Ernesto Villarreal said the items confiscated included products such as "Mejoral," a pain remedy manufactured in Mexico that his store buys from a Chicago distributor.

"They also have Mejoralito for children," he said. "These are household items found in many Mexican-American households."

Harvey Bernstein, a family physician for more than 30 years in private practice in Milwaukee, said it is absolutely necessary that a doctor evaluate a patient to determine whether antibiotics are the best treatment for the patient's safety.

For instance, people may know they are allergic to penicillin but may not know that amoxicillin and ampicillin are versions of penicillin that could cause adverse health reactions, he said.

Former state Supreme Court Justice Janine Geske, now interim dean at Marquette University Law School, said that the state statutes alleged to have been violated by those arrested are in place to protect consumers.

"This is certainly not the classic selling-cocaine-on-a-corner case, but it's still important these laws be enforced," Geske said. "But a prosecutor always needs to look at what justice demands in any particular case."

"If there's no prior record and no knowledge that these were prescription drugs, the likelihood that (the clerk) would be charged with a felony is not great," she said.

"The store owners are more at risk," she said. "If it is shown they had no idea that these were prescribed drugs, I think there will be compassion shown to them in the process."

Olivia Villarreal said they had no reason to believe that it was illegal to sell the products, and, had investigators approached the business about the matter, the business would have cooperated fully.

Her husband wondered why police searched the tortilla factory, delivery trucks and the store with drug-sniffing dogs.

"If they thought we were selling cocaine or something, I could see that," he said. "I think they thought they were going to find real drugs or make it look like we were making the stuff here."

"We don't make drugs here, we make tortillas," he said.

Employees at the tortilla factory, including two pregnant women, were forced to the ground at gunpoint, handcuffed and not allowed to shut off machinery used to make tortilla chips, Olivia Villarreal said.

"They begged them if they could shut off the machines," she said. "If the machines keep running with no product, they can overheat and cause a fire."

About 30 employees and 15 customers were in the store and about 20 workers at the factory at the time of the raids, she said.

Many of the employees are immigrants from Latin American countries where police officers are indistinguishable from military and paramilitary forces that terrorize civilians, said store employee Blanca Ferrusquia.

Ferrusquia, 35, said she immigrated to the United States in 1980 from El Salvador, where her two sisters were taken from her family's home by men in uniform and later executed.

"That's the way (police) came in here," she said. "The first thing you see is the rifles, and they say, 'Put your hands in the air.' "

Appeared in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Sept. 19, 2002.

F4GIB

The article said: "Harvey Bernstein, a family physician [they are at the bottom end of the medical food chain] for more than 30 years in private practice in Milwaukee, said it is absolutely necessary that a doctor evaluate a patient to determine whether antibiotics are the best treatment for the patient's safety."

Oh sure. Doctor is alway smarter than the patient.

That's why "Dr. Punjab" at my HMO prescribed ANTIBIOTICS for my VIRAL infection last winter. The nurse was concerned enough to tell me that they would be ineffective but wouldn't hurt me. I saved them for another day. The tortilla man could not have done a worse job of prescribing a remedy.